Re: surgery vs no surgery - Tina

Mon Apr 22 18:19:27 2002

Hell-yun, Was this Social Security Disability you filed for? How long ago were you denied? There is a time frame for filing an appeal....I will help you! Just let me know. I can't guarantee results...but I can help! Karla Hchalm@aol.com wrote: Dear Tina:

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It really makes one think about not having surgery. Oh, I had already not considered it as I can still have bowel movements, urinate and eat (although I have lost 20lbs), the pain is unbearable at times and I cannot do half the things I used to be able to do, but I just decided another surgery wasn't worth the risks and also having them just come back again. I know that there are those that have surgery and are totally well, but I am just afraid and with the rib pain possibly being nerve entrapment, nerve damage (who knows what the heck it is) this puts me at a greater risk because the adhesiolysis that I had only exasperated this area (right-rib).

What bothers me so much is other people not understanding why I won't have one. Hearing day in and day out that they had adhesions, snip/snip they were gone and back to work the next day. I don't know what kind of adhesions they had, but they certainly weren't anything like what I had and mine were back within months and the rib pain never went away. I know I shouldn't listen to them but I am so tired of trying to explain the risks of having another one and how I could end up worse than I am now. I think they think I enjoy taking the pain meds, and therefore, that's my reason for not having one. Believe me, If I thought another surgery would help me I'd be there in a minute; as I do not choice to live my life on pain medication the rest of my life, I just have no choice.

I, like you, can no longer work which has added such stress to my marriage because we need another income and I feel guilty because I can't help with the bills.

I filed for disability and was told that my legs, arms and hands are functionable, therefore I can perform the type of job I was doing (program assistant for a college, doing alot of desk work and computer work). LOL, but I can't sit for a long period of time, stand for a long period of time, or walk any distance. I plan to appeal, but I'm sure if I ever win it will take years. I suppose I would have to have my legs, arms and hands cut off before I would be elligible for disability.

In Friendship,

Hell-yun

Yahoo! Games - play chess, backgammon, pool and more

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: