choosing pain meds over surgery

Mon Apr 8 02:28:57 2002

I have finally found a good compassionate doctor willing to treat my pain from adhesions. It has been a long road for me, but not near the length many of fellow adhesions sufferers have endured.

After a few weeks of corresponding with Dr. Gerhart in PA, I have decided for the time being, to let these bad little nasty adhesions stay exactly where they are. I am constantly questioning my inner self as to the appropriateness of my decision, but am "sticking" with it. I spoke with Dr. G on many occasions, and I must say he is a very caring individual. He wrote to me after reading my post regarding possible surgery. The original message was followed up, and he made a effort to see me through the process of surgery with him. I just cannot seem to make the leap to yet another adhesiolysis right now. I have had two within a year of one another, and they still grew. I guess I am in the process of acceptance of a disorder that refuses to leave my body.

I see many people on the board have chosen for surgery, and I think maybe this will be successful for them. I pray for all who choose adhesiolysis that this is a success. I hope with, and by education more doctors, clinics, and all insurance carriers come to know adhesions, and start the process of acceptance of such a debilitating disorder.

People ask me frequently about my pain, and what is it that you have. Just how does one go about explaining this? I try, becasue I feel that if one person hears about, and tells another, then somewhere down the line something somewhere there might be a door that opens.

I am rambling, sorry. My hope is that those of you whom have opted for surgery are able to see that there are other choices if surgery doen't work. I am gaining my life back slowly but surely. I am for the first time in months of severe pain able to do mundane tasks, and the most important play with my children. As i said it is slow, but with each day I become a little stronger, and that light at the end of the tunnel gets a little brighter.

Thank you to all here for your neverending supply of information, both personal and medically, and for the support that I could not find anywhere else. em washington

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: