Visit to another pain clinic

Tue Apr 2 10:18:45 2002

Well...I just don't know why I keep trying. I always thought of myself as a realist, but I guess I'm really a misguided optimist.

Again, the 'pain doc' zeroed in on the fibromyalgia and refused to even consider any other cause for my continued pain. I let myself down by crying in front of him, so now he'll also report to my doctor that I am hysterical and need more psychotherapy.

Darn it, I'm getting soooo frustrated with these people!

Here's the text of the letter I'm sending to him and my primary care doctor:

Dear Doctor Fibruch:

You don’t know how sorry I am that I had to come see you on a bad pain day. It’s hard to think through the pain and make my points intelligently. My concern is you did not seem inclined to listen to me about any of the other medical problems that I have that are contributing to my pain. Focusing only on the FMS, exercise and changing medications is not what I expected or wanted. I tried to get you to listen to me and it didn’t work, so maybe a written communication is appropriate.

I have tried several times to ‘exercise through the pain to get to the other side’. I get very mixed messages about this issue. Dr. Berman told me that if it hurt an hour after doing a certain type of exercising, that I should back off. I’ve gone from full water aerobics, to Arthritis Foundation water class, and to a self managed class where you can do just as much as you can do and not worry about keeping up with anybody else. Even just walking a few laps was too much, no matter how many times I tried. Then it got cold and going from a warm pool to a cold car would have me in bed for the rest of the day. I am planning on trying again, but the Arthritis Foundation’s classes are during the day and I am currently trying to hold a job. I was hoping you would have some idea for a work-around solution for use of the Center for Health Enhancement in the evening, besides the full water aerobics class.

The PT department at KU Medical Center instructed me to do light stretching exercises and walk when I can. They tried some massage, but the effects didn’t last. I do stretches every day and try to take breaks during the workday to walk around the little park area outside my office.

But the pain doesn’t go away, ever. It is not always FMS pain, but I’m sure it makes the FMS worse.

Now, about those other problems you waved off while talking about taking me off the pain medications. I also have: · Osteoarthritis · Degenerative disc disease · Adhesions related disorder (yes, they do cause pain) · Bone spurs in various locations, including spine.

What I am trying to tell you is I that I was hoping we could come up with a plan to treat these other problems causing me pain. I have already had surgery for the adhesions, but they returned. I can accept that further surgery is probably not the answer for the adhesions, but pain management is necessary. I will be seeing an orthopedist for my knee and hip and am scheduled to see a rheumatologist as well.

As for your recommendation for taking me off the Vicodin, your own center’s information packet says: “Use of strong medication for pain relief rarely leads to addiction.” From your comments, you don’t believe this. I do not take the Vicodin ‘to get high’; I take it in order to function. Perhaps you should look at the other causes of my pain more closely before taking away my pain medication. The dosage as it is now, leaves me at about 50-60% functional as opposed to 10-20% without it.

If the alternative medication you are recommending will work as well as the Valium in relieving the muscle spasms, I have no problem giving it a trial. The Flexeril did not.

I’m sure I looked and acted depressed when I left your office. I feel that I had a right to be that way. You did not listen to me and again I feel I am faced with a fight over my capabilities, disabilities and pain medication. It is very stressful to continually have my needs ignored and still try to fulfill my contractual obligations to my employer. I came to the clinic looking for hope, even when I knew you did not take my insurance. Now, I will be paying a bill for a visit, which to me provided no help or understanding.

I hope you treat other patients with more compassion and realize there are no single simple cure alls for every situation, especially when dealing with a patient with multiple medical conditions.

Who knows if he'll actually read or care? But I'm trying anyway. Hope everyone has a 'good' day. kcmo rose

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: