Re: Do some adhesions not cause pain??

Thu Mar 28 16:07:13 2002

At Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Angie wrote: >
>It will not bother me one bit not having that thing
>in there. I refuse to be on pain medication all my life and this is my
>choice. Take it out.

You described massive adhesions, but you did not say whether you are in pain or not. If you are NOT in any pain now, then there is a reasonably good chance that after you have your surgery you will still be pain-free, despite all of the added adhesions caused by the new surgery. There is also a reasonably good chance that after you have more surgery, and you have all of the extra adhesions caused by your new surgery, that you will convert into someone in agonizing pain.

On the other hand, if you ARE in pain now, then the experiences of the other people here suggest that after your surgery and after you have the new adhesions from that new surgery, you will be in significantly more pain than you are now.

The way that you have phrased what you said suggests that someone (doctor, probably) has told you that you are choosing between a) having surgery, or b) being on pain meds all your life. As the members here can attest, that is not the choice. The choice is between a) having the amount of pain that you have now, or b) having surgery that will put you in MORE pain than you have now. Sure you MIGHT (if you are lucky) have a week or a month, or maybe even a year of pain relief, but then it comes roaring back.

Also, don't sneer at the value of actually being allowed to be on pain meds for the rest of your life. If your surgeon promises that the surgery will take away your pain, and then you are back in his office 1 month, 2 months, 6 months later in more agony than you are in now, then it is the surgeon who has a choice to make. He can admit that he lied to you. Or he can throw you out of his office sneering that you are lying. And he can write a letter to every other doctor in town telling them that you are a liar, and that when you claim that he has done something that has put you in pain you are lying, and that you are lying when you say you are in pain. So, do you really trust that this surgeon will admit that he lied to you? Brave words these: "I refuse to be on pain medication all my life." Have you considered what your life will be like if you are in more pain than you are in now and you are not allowed any pain meds other than the ones you can buy off the shelf?

I know that I'm being really harsh. (Partly because I'm in a lot of pain today.) But this is real serious stuff. If you have surgery and end up in agonizing debilitating pain, then the surgeon will shrug and say, "yeah, well, I guess maybe it doesn't always work." And then YOU, not the surgeon, will have to live with those consequences for the rest of your life.

--
cathy :-)

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: