TO BETH: Re: Pain after eating/drinking? ???? (sorry so long)

Fri Mar 1 06:00:45 2002

Beth -

thank you for sharing your story - sounds so familiar - my hubby is ready for war at this point too.

I was able to get some water down last night and this morning, so that is a good thing. Still no vomiting at all, but no bm's either. I know how painful the pancreas is, and I feel for you.

My doctors have run through ALL the tests except the ERCP, and still have found nothing at all, so in essence this is why my gastro said "there is nothing wrong with you, and nothing for us to treat at this point".

Really aggravating! I am just watching and waiting at this point, hubby says we'll go back to our local ER if we have to, and get a new doctor.

thanks again,

--
Jill

At Thu, 28 Feb 2002, BethC wrote: > >Hi Jill >I went through just what you are going through starting last september, >by october it was so bad I also couldn't eat or drink, however, my Dr. >took it very seriously and had all kinds of scans and ultrasound and >ERCP done for me. It turned out to be mild pancreatitis and has since >settled down and i take Pancrease MT 20 to eat. I had an MV accident in >1992 which did the original damage with extensive surgery for repairs. I >had no problem with pancreatitis for 9 years, then it started up. I >also have Endo & active ovarian cysts, they think these are growing and >causing new growths of adhesions to form on my pancreas and possibly my >liver from the pain I still have. By December it had settled down, but >the pain & pulling / tearing feeling hasn't left my pancreas. It gives >me terrible pain through my upper back, under both ribs, across stomach, >sometime it seems my whole torso. Pain meds & the pancrease meds have >helped. I am still going between Dr.s to see if I may have to have some >of the adhesions relieved from the pancreas. My pancreas & liver counts >did finally go back to normal in January. I know this might not be >encouraging, but two things to stress. >1. Make sure you get a Dr. who will take you serious and look out for >you!! THIS IS NOT A NORMAL WAY TO FEEL! Please don't hestitate from as >many ER visits as you feel you need. That's what they are there for. If >you might have a blockage, don't hestitate! >2. I didn't have a blockage and the mild pancreatitis hasn't killed me >yet, although I could have sworn the not eating and pain would. >I tried a soy based fat free Slim Fast (not for diet!) because it had no >fat to digest and has lots of vitamins & minerals. It would take an >hour or more to drink it but it did the trick. I am back working and >trying to deal with the pain. They say there's a chance the pain may >"settle itself" down. I am praying it will. >I do know exactly what you and your husband are going through now. My >husband was out of his mind wanting to take some Dr. hostage until they >fixed me. I had 3 kids who watched and worried while I was going >through it (still at times)too. That type of pain is quite unbearable, >try deep breathing, relaxation and lots of diversion. >Good Luck & God Bless. >Email me me anytime to vent. >Beth C > >At Thu, 28 Feb 2002, Jill wrote: >> >>Hi all - been struggling along as usual, but had a real BAD week this >>week - have been to ER 3 times in 5 days. >> >>First visit they diagnosed me w/pancreatitis, due to my Lipase levels >>being highly elevated, although my Amylase was within range. (sounds >>more like intestinal blockage, actually) White cell count and ESR were >>also up, and still remain elevated. >> >>Still having LOTS of pain across top of rib cage, both sides. Now >>today, I can't eat OR drink anything, even my ginger tea, without >>getting terrible burning and crushing pain in my chest - not even really >>like heartburn. >> >>I already take presription prilosec for Mild reflux, and have even tried >>to Tums on top of this today, but it just won't stop. Tried to call my >>gastro, she wouldn't talk to me, had her nurse tell me to "get some >>maalox", and "your test are all normal, there is nothing wrong with >>you". >> >>Could this be those ugly adhesions, waging war now somewhere else in my >>body???? Hubby and I have HAD IT with ER's and docs, as we are getting >>nowhere, and we are going on day 9 of this, all the while I can't even >>work. And now I can't even drink water or tea without pain??????? >>So sorry to vent on all of you, but I have nowhere else to turn for any >>comfort, and seem out of options at this point. >> >>Any suggestions, or even prayers would be appreciated. >> >>-- >>Jill >> >-- >Not Alone Anymore... >

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: