Lisa W. & Natalie

Tue Feb 12 18:52:09 2002

Hi Lisa W and Natalie:

Lisa, I specify your last initial because we have several Lisa/Lesa's on the board.

Only you can make the final decision about surgery for pain relief, but before you make that decision, my personal opinion is that you should educate yourself about the risks involved. The best way I can suggest to do that is to read - check through the links on the IAS website. You will find links to medical articles on what causes adhesions, what the risks are of surgery to lyse the adhesions, possible alternative treatments or therapies, and so on. The Adhesions quilt will give you a bit of insight into what others here on the board have and are dealing with, what they have tried, what has worked, what hasn't, and what had little or no effect.

Natalie, scar tissue does not take the place of whatever was taken out, but the raw tissues where whatever was removed can and do join together with adhesions, pulling other things out of position.

Also, you were asking about lap surgery to see what is hurting. Personally, I had an exploratory lap two years ago which resulted in the diagnosis of adhesions. They went in looking for endo, and didn't find any. The lap was done by a gynecologist, who lysed the adhesions in the areas he felt comfortable dealing with (i.e., the reproductive organs), but he left those involving the bowel and intestines. No special surgical routine, no barriers, and I got one week of total relief, one week of partial relief, and then back to square one and progressing because of the new trauma to the tissues. The gyn had estimated 45 minutes for surgery, and it was an hour and a half. I have now become almost housebound because of the pain, and spend a lot of time lying down or falling down because I lose the feeling in my legs due to the intensity of the pain. Some days I can not do my own housework, and I can no longer hold a job.

I've been dealing with this for almost four years, and keep thinking that this is a test of some sort. I keep reminding myself to "Let go and let God." About the only thing that gives me any ray of hope at all is the love and support I get from the others on this message board.

Welcome, and big gentle hugs.

Nancy in NB

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: