21 yr old; recent bowel resection and lots of questions

Thu Feb 7 13:04:41 2002

Hi! I'm 21 yrs old and have recently been having a lot of problems. In June 2001 I went to the ER with pain. They thought it wass my appendix so they did a lapro.Turns out it was ovarian cysts. The surgeon removed them and also my appendix. 4 days later I returned. I had a small bowel obstruction and they removed 3-4 ft of my small intestine. I got an infection and was in ICU for a week where I had yet another surgery. They don't know what caused it but my surgeon says it had nothing to do with the previous surgery. I was getting better until December and I was hospitalized. My surgeon keeps saying this is not a surgical matter. My gastro can't find anything wrong with me. Neither can my hemotologist. I have a scar from my belly button to my pelvis so my surgeon says of course I'm going to have adhesions, but that wouldn't cause all of the pain I'm having. I can barely walk and I always have to use a cane. The only position I'm comfortable in is lying down. I am in the Army and thankfully they have given me con leave, but I'm having a very hard time dealing with this. The doctors here say there's nothing they can do...just pain management. I don't want to take pain pills for the rest of my life...and half the time they don't even work. They said if it is adhesions if they remove them it will just cause more...is this true? Do adhesions really hurt this bad? What type of doctor should I go to and will they actually do something to help me? I'm sorry this is so long, but if anyone could give me advice I'd really appreciate it. Kristy

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: