Re: Pain when sitting

Tue Feb 5 21:47:04 2002

I am so scared and afraid. I am only 27, and I have three kids, ages 7,5 and 2 1/2. My live in boyfriend has been cheating on my since forever."been together for 9 years". And my family don't even have a clue as to what adhesions are. They don't understand the intense pain that I am in. And "he" is so busy running around, I am just alone. I want to have this surgery to try and end the pain so I can get me and my kids out of here. But I here so much about that it won't work. Has anyone out here tried alternative ways to deal with the pain besides surgery and strong pain meds? I thought that I should give accupuncture a try. Have anyone tried it? And, if so, did it work? I just wanna take the edge off of the pain, without causing more problems to my well-being. Someone please give me some answers. I trust that your expierences with adhesions is far more helpful than the Dr. who just wanna cut, cut, and cut somemore.
---
MS.Evetta L. Gregory

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002 14:03:23 cathy:- wrote: >First of all, I'm SO glad that you are taking a step back from having >surgery again. The only surgery I've ever had was my c-section. My >unnecessary c-section... > >A couple of things about the pain meds... First of all, scientists have >mapped out the gene which determines whether or not you react to >codeine. Approx 70% of the population does, but 30% of the population >doesn't. Codeine in general has 3 effects -- it relieves pain, it >causes constipation, and it makes you loopy. Different individuals who >are among the 70% do react differently to it, so it takes a little >detective work to figure out what is going on. You say that you take it >precisely because it doesn't make you loopy. This could be because you >are one of the lucky ones who gets pain relief without the loopiness. Or >it could be that you are only getting pain relief from the Tylenol >(which is a reasonably effective pain reliever, after all). If the >codeine isn't doing you any more good than just taking the store-brand >over-the-counter acetominephen, then why spend the extra money for the >prescription? > >Secondly, tylenol taken in even moderate doses over long periods of time >can cause liver damage. When you are talking about taking something >everyday several times a day for the forseeable future, you need to >consider this. I don't know what the exact limits are, but they are >well-known. The most common form of chronic pain, after all, is >arthritis, and tylenol is an excellent pain reliever for many people >with arthritis, so the limits and toxicity are something that is well >studied. The point about narcotics is that they are generally far less >toxic to liver, stomach, kidneys, etc. than the non-narcotics. It's >sort of ironic, ya'know -- you can have as much as you want of a pain >reliever that has the side effect of destroying your liver and killing >you, but oh no! it's totally unacceptable to give you narcotics because >there is the tiniest chance that you might get a buzz on from it... > >Thirdly, while everyone is different and there are no guarantees in >medicine, for most people the fogginess/loopiness/nausia/whatever that >is a side-effect of narcotics is only temporary, typically a matter of a >few days (if you're lucky), maybe a few weeks. Would it be possible to >ask a relative or friend to come stay with you for a short time so that >you can get stabalized on some meds? Like when I had my babies my mom >came for a month each time. I had a c-section with the first one and I >don't know what I would have done without her those first couple of >weeks! If you have the typical reaction to narcotics, after a couple of >weeks of adjustment you'll be in far better shape to take care of your >son just because you won't be in pain all of the time. > >At Tue, 5 Feb 2002, EVETTA GREGORY wrote: >> >>Dear Karla; When I read your letter it made me think. But when I read your quilt, I cried. I cried harder and longer than when I am in pain. You have opened my eyes to see the other side of this. I was never told that having this surgery can cause more adhesions, by any of my doctors. I am going in to see my Dr. in three days to discuss my other options. The pain med I am on now is only tylenol 3, it doesn't help alot, but I can't take anything stronger because I have a 2 year old son who has epilepsy. He has over 10 seizures a day and I need to be alert for him. Thank you for caring and taking time out for me. I really admire and appreciate you. Thanks again...Evetta > >-- >cathy :-) >

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: