Introduction and question

Fri Feb 1 00:19:19 2002

Hi everyone,

And to think that about 5 weeks ago I didn't even know what an adhesion was.

I had a laparoscopy on Dec. 17th to remove an ovarian cyst, and all seemed to go well until about a week and a half after surgery when I started having some pelvic pain. To make a long story short, it sounds as if I may have an adhesion. It is not constant, but is more likely to occur when I'm sitting and after eating. The pain seems very localized in the area where the right ovary was, and I'm betting my small intestine is involved.

When I first found this site and started reading about adhesions (my sister who's an RN mentioned it as a possible cause for my pain), I immediately started stretching on a big inflatable ball. I seemed to get signficant relief after just a day or two. I've not been good about doing it regularly now though, and today had a pretty bad day.

When I had my follow-up exam with my gyn, I mentioned the pain I had had and what I did to get rid of it, and she basically said, "Hey, whatever works." She agreed that I probably had developed an adhesion, but seemed rushed and not the slightest bit concerned.

So I guess my basic questions are this. I assume I should get an official diagnosis to rule out anything more serious, but it almost sounds from everything I've been reading that it might be a waste of time. Can they only be diagnosed by a process of elimination of other problems? If I do decide to get it diagnosed, should I call the gyn or my regular doctor who is an Internist (and a very good one)?

I'm so disgusted by all this because I had no idea adhesions were so prevalent. Had I known, I might have at least asked about the barriers available. I certainly wouldn't have treated this as such a "no big deal" surgery.

Hindsight. Phooey.

Thanks for any thoughts.

--
Jane

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: