Re: adhesion pain and pulling...Julie

Fri Jan 25 22:24:33 2002

Julie, My battle with adhesions developed after a ectopic pregnancy that ruptured over 10 years ago. I had emergency surgery and the adhesion problems began. When I started experiencing pain, pressure on my bladder and terrible period problems, I went to a different surgeon(in a nearby bigger city and better hospital facilities) for a laparoscopy. That was the first time I had ever heard the word adhesions. I was young,(29) and to make a long story short, it has been a learning experience for me. I have had 8 surgeries that have all been related to the adhesions. The surgeon even tried Seprafilm barrier which unfortunately did not work for me. I had to have a total hysterectomy due to adenomyosis. After that the adhesions took over my intestines. I was in so much pain I really thought I was loosing my mind. Then I found this site, I wasn't alone! I had already been to pain management and it did help, but I was too far gone. I was experiencing bowel obstructions and hospitilized. We had already discussed going to Scranton, PA, if I had to have another surgery. That was Oct. 30, 2000. I always request my surgical records, and my post-operative diagnosis was extensive peritoneal cavity adhesions involving the abdominal wall, pelvis and interloop adhesions, internal hernias, chronic cholecystitis, and cul-de-sac nodule with complete cul-de-sac obliteration. Drs. Redan & Reich were able to do this laparoscopically although they could not get in the supraumbilical position. It was a very long surgery and I stayed in the hospital 3 days. Drs. Redan & Reich use advanced laparoscopic surgical techniques that include scissors dissection, aquadissection, laser and electrosurgery. They stress the importance of hemostasis(leaving no blood) and at the end of the procedure leaves saline solution to help prevent adhesions. They gave me pictures and 2 videotapes of the surgery. Yes, I feel so much better, but I don't believe I will ever be adhesion free. I personally feel there is a connection between scar tissue and mixed connective tissue disorders. I also have Fibromyalgia. Some research suggests the scar response is amplified many times resulting in "keloid-type" scarring in people with disorders such as Fibromyalgia, Epstein-Barr,Chronic Fatigue, etc. That's another story! Sorry so long, please feel free to contact me and remember; you are not alone. Sherry

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: