Letter to Secretary Part 2

Sat Jan 12 16:47:42 2002

Adhesion Related Disease is THE most infringing and disabling disease in the world today.

Secretary Thompson, you may wish to acclimate yourself with this disease prior to our meeting as I am sure you will not be familiar with it. And if you are, be assured I will have more questions for you regarding the lack of public awareness

You might want to start by reading these facts on Adhesion Related Disease:

(Menzies, 1993). “ Between 55 and 100% of patients undergoing pelvic reconstructive

surgery will form adhesions. ARD, as it has come to be known within the medical society

and those who suffer it, is the result of every invasive surgical procedure that is performed

on the human body! ” )

**The surgery that separates organs that are attached from a prior surgical procedure is called an : adhesiolysis.

**An adhesiolysis procedure is performed in this world as often as an appendectomy, a coronary bypass and hip replacements.

** An adhesiolysis procedure is the number one problem from a surgery as it is the result of ANY surgical procedue completed on the human body!

** An adhesiolysis is ussualy NOT the schedlued operastive procedure, but is performed in relationship to another surgical procedure of a prior diagnosed medical conditon..but as a result of a prio surgery on the patient, the surgeon finds that he is faced with lysing through adhesions before they can preceed with the scheduled surgery that was planned!

** Adhesions are found in 97% of all second or " re operative " precedures!!

** Adhesions are found in the human body folwoing MOST surgical procedures: cardiac ( heart ), joint, ( any joints including wrist, knee, hip, elbows, knees..a joint is a joint )

Intra abdominal / pelvic ( in order of the highest % of adhesion formation following one of these invasive surgery: c- section, hysterectomy, ( even a vaginal hysterectomy ) appendectomy, urinary bladder, gall bladder, hernia repair, )

** Adhesions form as a result of a laporotomy ( which is an incision into the abdominal cavity over 3 inches long ) ..adhesions do NOt form as a result of a laporoscopc surgery in and of itself as the intra abdominal incisions are so minimal adhesions do not occur. So, when possible, a laporoscopic procedure is the best route for any invasive surgery..BUTmost surgeons cannot perform them with enough skill , so they resort to laporotomies instead!

ADHESIONS are believed to cause pelvic pain by tethering down organs and tissues, causing traction (pulling) of nerves. Nerve endings may become entrapped within a developin adhesion. If the bowel becomes obstructed, distention will cause pain.

Some patients in whom chronic pelvic pain has lasted more than six months may develop "Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome.” In addition to the chronic pain, emotional and behavioral changes appear due to the duration of the pain and its associated stress.

According to the International Pelvic Pain Society.

Chronic pelvic pain is estimated to affect nearly 15% of women between 18 and 50 (Mathias et al., 1996). Other estimates arrive at between 200,000 and 2 million women in the United States (Paul, 1998).

The economic effects are also quite staggering. In a survey of households, Mathias et al. (1996) estimated that direct medical costs for outpatient visits for chronic pelvic pain for the U.S. population of women aged 18-50 years are $881.5 million per year. Among 548 employed respondents, 15% reported time lost from paid work and 45% reported reduced work productivity

It is imperative that a disease of this caliber get proper notice via a governmental office as if it is not presented to the public in such a way as to inform as well as educate, it WILL create panic simply by learning how one develops Adhesion Related Disease. It is my impression that once ARD is brought to the attention of the public, it will not only impact surgery in a negative way it WILL change the way surgery is perceived in our society today!

Secretary Thompson, I am asking that you give thought to bringing this insidious disease to the attention of those in the political arena by doing the following:

1.) Educate them to Adhesion Related Disease,

2.) Educate them as to the impact ARD has on a person who sufferer’s it,

3.) Educate them as to the impact of ARD on insurance costs, and on society as a whole.

4.) Include research of ARD in grant funding that is available for health issues research!

I am hoping that you will recognize the need for all persons in our society to be made aware of ARD! It IS going to happen, people are becoming aware of ARD more and more through societies such as the International Adhesion Society and chronic pain support groups due to the vast network of the Internet! . I am sure you can see the potential for panic when it comes to the realization of the cause of post surgical adhesions, and it’s potential impact on surgery, as we know it today!

It will only be through education of ARD that we will be able to make the most positive and profound impact. If we are to save people from not only getting ARD but from suffering the same atrocities that those who suffer with it every minute of every day of their lives, we must educate the public as well as our physicians about ARD!

It is imperative that this disease get proper notice via a governmental office as if it is not presented to the public in such a way as to inform as well as educate, it WILL create panic simply by learning how one develops Adhesion Related Disease. It is my impression that once ARD is brought to the attention of the public, it will not only impact surgery in a negative way it WILL change the way surgery is perceived in our society today!

I am prepared to forward to you prior to my arrival in Washington D.C. as well as bring with me material that substantiates everything that I have brought to your attention regarding Adhesion Related Disease.

I thank -you for your time and consideration of my request. I look forward to hearing from you soon and if there is anything I can do to assist you securing more information regarding both these issues, please do not hesitate to call me

Sincerely yours,

Beverly J. Doucette

International Adhesions Society

Patient Advocate

http://www.pathwaystohope.org http://www.adhesions.org/Links/ http://www.adlap.com

JEAN

"SMILE............It confuses people!"

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: