Re: SICK OF IT ALL!

Fri Dec 21 07:16:27 2001

Dear Sarah:

Well, you have come to the right place for support, friendship and understanding. Everyone here can relate to what you are going through, and (if my experience is anything to go by) they will all help you get through the toughest spots.

What pain medications are you currently taking, and what effect are they having on your pain? Have you been to a pain management centre, and has it helped in any way? Have you tried adjusting to see if that helps in any way? What other symptoms are you dealing with, that you can post here and perhaps someone can give you pointers from their own experience?

I know the frustration after a surgery. I've hoped (even though my Dr. quite clearly told me otherwise) that an operation would help my pain only to have get worse. I know what it is like to wish for your old life and your old self back. Family and friends really cannot understand, unless they experience chronic pain themselves, and they just don't grasp the fact that right now there is very little that doctors can do to treat adhesions. Just last week my brother-in-law got very upset with me when I tried to explain to him that my Dr. said that the next surgery may not help me, and could possibly make things worse. He just couldn't accept that as a fact. You are quite right, it is a very frustrating position to be in.

The stress of daily pain actually builds up and seems to make the pain worse. A few times I've found myself almost panicing, and it was Jo from this forum who one evening gave me breathing exercises over the net to help me calm down. Relaxation techniques will help you to deal with your pain some of the time. Please browse through the archives and you will find many helpful hints. Helen D is a wealth of information, and her posts are invaluable to most of us.

I'm sure that by now you've discovered that more surgery does not necessarily mean the cure for your adhesions (and can often make them worse). Some people with adhesions make their own personal decision to try to live with their situation. Some people keep trying more surgery and new barrier methods. Before you even contemplate another surgery, please take the time to read Karla's story on the quilt. You've had SO many operations that you stand to risk more than you may know.

Please come here any time that you need to vent (or as I call my tirades "rant"), because that is part of the purpose of this forum. I am not very knowledgeable myself, but there are so many people here who may be able to help you, or at least lend a hand. We are in this toghether - only others who have lived with adhesions can understand the burden of dealing with the varied pains and associated disorders that accompany them.

The ladies on this forum will welcome you, and share their many years of experience with you. You will feel the warmth of a cyber hug, just like the one I am sending you now!

Best wishes,

--
Clare

--
csheedy

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: