Re: Tuesday, 4 December 2001 - To Lin

Mon Dec 3 20:41:27 2001

Thanks sweetie!

I used to be horrid at making bread in the bread maker in the beginning. Then I decided to change my tactic - I made my dough's using the bread maker - and then I just started off doing simple things - like rolling the dough out till it was the size of an A4 piece of paper - then I would fold it in three - just as you would fold a letter before sticking it in an envelope - then I'd stick it in a cake tin - tucking the edges under. I discovered that if I put a glazing on it that it would look nice - sometimes I use a bit of milk, or a bit of egg (beaten), or some salty water. It was a matter of trial and error! Then I began experimenting just slashing the bread after it had risen for the last time - just before popping it into the oven, and I'd end up getting a good effect. Baking it in the oven made it (a) taste better, the crust is not as thick, and (b) the bread is not such an awkward block shape - and doesn't have that annoying broken bit on the bottom - from that thingy-me-jig that turns.

Now I am putting things on top of my breads - sesame seeds, poppy seeds, rolled oats, etc.

Plus, since John bought me a wonderful encyclopaedia on breads from around the world, I've been trying all the different breads out.

AND THEN MY BREAD MAKERS thingy-me-jig broke! You know - the metal part of the thing which turns? And although John is great at fixing most things - he doubts that he can fix this - and we don't have the money to buy another one!

So I had no choice,

So (as unusual as it is for me to do) I started following the recipes exactly (I'm usually the kind of person who thinks to herself "If all else fails read the manual!")

And then to my absolute amazement - I started producing some very delicious, and great looking loafs, and I got to liking this kneading business! If I'm in desperate pain, and needing to calm down, and come back to earth - I find that kneading a bread does wonders for me - plus it helps strengthen my hands and wrists. (Even John has commented that I'm getting stronger - he suffers from a bad neck and back - and I massage him every day - if I don't he gets terribly sore - he keeps joking by calling me "Olga"!)

Well, John will almost be home, so I'd better wander down to the gate so that I can open it - a walk will do me good.

Lots of love from your Kiwi friend,

Lin

> ----- Original Message -----
From: TODDnLESA@aol.com To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS Sent: Tuesday, 4 December 2001 16:13 Subject: Re: Tuesday, 4 December 2001 - To Lin

Sorry, I hit the wrong key again! I was saying I envy your bread making ability...I have a bread maker and still suck at it!

Take care and let us know if you become any later on your monthly!

Love you, Lesa

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: