Jo & Mandii

Mon Oct 22 22:55:57 2001

I also do the belly rub thingy but I call it kneading my belly since it is also done in a circular path except you press in to "knead" the belly , bottom right up to ribs around and down to bottom left. It really helps get the gas moving and the bowels. I also agree it really helps. An Osteopathic doctor taught me to do it about 30 years ago and he was a life saver.

I'm also married to a great man....with all our problems we sure need to be!

JEAN

-----Original Message----- From: adhesions@adhesions.org [mailto:adhesions@adhesions.org]On Behalf Of Wally Sent: Monday, October 22, 2001 10:42 AM To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS Subject: Mandii aussie aussie aussie!

Sorry couldn't resist! LOL

I worked at the Olympics last year & what an adrenilan (spelling arrgghh) rush THAT was. I have to say, that the thrill, spectacle and sheer friendly atmosphere that engulfed Sydney helped me & my pain a lot! If only I could go from one job to another that offered the same thrills!

Sorry, I digress, Mandii, nice to see another Aussie posting here! You certainly have been through the mill haven't you. I was interested in your comment about rubbing your tummy ..... I learned that tecnique from a lovely Chinese Herbalist here in town. I was seeing him for a while for herbal therapy, he had great success with my husbands IBS, he was very ill by the time we met Gordon, the doctors had thrown up their hands in defeat, they couldn't figure out what was happening, his organs were slowly shutting down.

Any way (typical Aussie...long winded *cough*) Gordon insisted that I started rubbing my belly in a circular motion at the minimum of 100 rotations a day! It really does help.... the heat generated by the rubbing is soothing, and the motion actually encourages the bowel to work more effectively. When I have commented on this here before, several members noted that they catch themselves rubbing their tummy when pain is bad.

He also taught me to rub my hands together vigerously & apply my heated palms to an achy area, whether headache...or some other part of your body. I do this & yes it works :-)

Breathing ia another exersise I use also, as well as my beach....I have a favourite place called Bombo on the South Coast, at Kiama. Any way I start by imagining the sand under my feet & take it from there. On my worst night last week, I was able to visit my beach for half an hour. When I started I was quite agitated & upset about the level of my pain....by the end of my visit my breathing was relaxed, and so was my body. The pain was still there, however I was eventually able to sleep.

I use lots of other things also, but I hazard a guess that you know them all too :-) Have you put your story on the quilt? It is a great idea, and really helps everyone to understand just how widespread the problem of adhesions is, and just how serious it is too. Well, I had better get to bed, Shane & I have a long trip to Sydney tomorrow.

Oh by the way....I haven't taken ANY pain meds today ;-)

Love & hugs Jo

P.S. I'm glad you are married to a great man....something else we have in common ;-)

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: