Mandii

Mon Oct 22 10:23:14 2001

Dear Mandii, Thank you for sharing your experience!! Jo has already invited you to add your story to the Adhesions Quilt; and I encourage you to do so also.

Jo has written many inspirational messages regarding what she does to manage her pain. The following steps will help you access Jo's previous messages:

1.) Scroll down to the bottom of this page.

2.) Enter Jo's e-mail address (wallamara@hotmail.com) (Note: Anyone can locate their previous messages by entering their e-mail address in the Search Box.)

3.) Scroll down and click: Search Adhesions

~ ~ ~ ~

At Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Mandii wrote:

Dear Jo,

I am a little like you I think. Well besides being a fellow aussie.... :) I have always been one to bite my lip, grin and make out like everything is better than it is. Put on a happy face and all that jazz. Over the years people have depended on my strength and I have gotten used to hiding pain etc from people who worry continuosly about me.

I have been sick since I was 6 years old. Over the years I have had quite a few surgeries and medical problems, which continue today. I can see we are both veterans where pain and medical history is concerned.

Mine started out as Ulcerative Colitis, went too total colectomy--> associated problems-->hysterectomy--> associated problems-->Right ovary removed due to complications(adhesions and cyst)-->3 months later left ovary removed for adhesions-->associated problems and now I get continuing problems such as small intestinal blockages, bad adhesion pain etc etc with the additive of have arthritis amongst other things.

At first I started taking low pain relief doses to take the edge off. As we all know that the pain can really start to take over. Then over time and a history of needing narcotics etc my tolerance to these pain meds was high. Eventually they had me on stronger doses and I was still suffering a great deal of pain. The crunch came when the pain management doctor strongly suggested I get a morphine pump.

I, like everyone else have my really bad days here and there and will lie down and breath, I listen to the sound of my breathing, really focus on it. I personally have found gently rubbing my abdomen in a circular motion (as a pregnant woman might do), and thinking of stuff I have planned for the next day, weekend etc I can overcome it for the most part.

Don't get me wrong I am not totally pain relief free. On the odd occassion nothing has worked and I have taken a morphine tablet or drunk some of that vile morphine liquid. I found my emotions were more unstable and things seemed to effect me alot more when I was taking regular pain relief also. I think what turned it all around was the fact that I have dealt with so much in the past and aknowledge I will have to do so in the future. I have survived and came this far, I will beat the pain and whatever else is thrown at me as well :)

Hope this is understandable :) Thank you I am having a great day, may you be also! Oh i am 28, married to a wonderful man and no children.

Take Care

Mandii

~ ~ ~ ~

At Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Jo Eslick wrote:

Mandii,

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it very much. There is one thing that I would ask you to keep in mind, being positive about illness & pain is very important, and I am usually VERY positive about my disease, prognosis and pain. Sometimes though, we get to a point where we need to feel down, and seek a little sympathy...it's actually a very natural reaction.

I am an active mother of 4 daughters (3 teenagers), and I also run a successful business with my husband, as well as work for several charities. I have been posting on the board since February this year, and if you look back through the archives you will see just how positive I can be :-)

Everyone is entitled to an "off day" once in a while & feel the need to seek sympathy, that is what this site is all about. I'm glad that you are getting through your days with out medication, I have times when I can do that too.... but I choose to use medicine, when I need it to get on with my day & do the things I want to do...whether it be for my family, friends or even talking with my friends here on the board.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond, I hope your positive attitude continues to help you cope with your pain.

Love & gentle hugs Jo (Australia)

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: