My special weekend....

Mon Oct 15 05:00:22 2001

Hello to all my friends on the board!

I thought that following Helen Dynda's post about living each day like it's your last … I would share a special day Saturday was for my family!

Today (15th October) is my eldest daughter's birthday she is sixteen. I was really worried about how we could celebrate her special day…with me the way I am, and budget consideration restricting things also… Em & I decided a formal dinner party would be fine.

So we invited the guests, (her boyfriend and another two friends) and took ourselves down town to buy a few things to decorate the dining room to make it special. We chose purple & yellow as our colour theme & chose fabric to make a special tablecloth…($3.50) for 2 metres of yellow & one of purple. We the bought a few gerbera flowers (fresh) hot pink, some silver & gold stars, plastic colourful jewels & two goldfish! LOL Yes I did say goldfish! LOL

We used two grey velvet tablecloths to hide a bookcase & plant stand in the room, put the fish in my huge plain glass vase with a purpely red fake plant & glass pebbles, put a glass candle holder on either side of the vase, placed a small treasure chest near the vase with Hershey kisses as the treasure. In the centre of the table we put my glass salad bowel & put a little red food colouring in the water, floating on the water were gerberas, stars & floating candles. On all surfaces we sprinkled, petals, jewels and stars. I bought Em & her friend a feather boa each… to make them feel "dressed up". They had roast chicken & vegies & dessert was homemade rum raspberry custard (made with egg yolks, cream & sugar … yum!) garnished with a dollop of fresh whipped cream & a strawberry.

We set the table with the good crystal glasses … they drank ginger ale out of the wine glasses, and had a glass of Champaign in the flute glasses. They took lots of photos, did a lot of laughing & couldn't believe all the trouble we went to. In other words everyone REALLY enjoyed themselves. We finished off with Mocca Kenyan Coffee & special melt in the mouth cookies.

I spent yesterday in bed BUT everyone had a smile on their face ALL weekend! We invited both sets of grand parents over to ooo & aaarrr over the dining room, and to give Em her presents.

Then I got my own surprises! Shane's parents gave me a lead light blue bird …. Shane's dad made it for me, he does lead lighting as a hobby. It was a surprise, because they had already given me a gliding rocking chair earlier…because they saw me on a really bad pain day! They decided I needed somewhere comfy to sit that was my own!

Then my parents gave me a card & said that they would give me a present later…I was ooing & aarrring over the card, when a very old post card fell out! I was really excited, because I thought it was lost after my grandfather died. It was from France, sent during WWI by my great grandfather to his little son "Jackie". The postcard is embroidered French lace made into a little envelope, inside is a little card that says from France. On the back is my great grandfathers message! I was in tears! I miss my grandfather very much, he died two years ago & had promised it to me.

My grandparents were special people, they also bought an 18c gold box chain necklace for Emma the day she was born. They gave it to me on her Christening day, and said I had to keep it safe & give it to Em on her sixteenth birthday. So I asked my Dad (it was his parents) to tell Emma the story, and give it to her.

So, that is my weekend. Full of love, special memories both new and old … the total cost for Emma's special birthday dinner? $40 approx. The memories though, are priceless.

It was such a special time, I really wanted to share it with all my special friends here. We really don't need much to make our lives special and memorable. Just a bit of imagination and a bit of time.

Love & warm gentle hugs to you all, Jo (Australia) P.S. My birthday is tomorrow (16th)

--
Positive Affirmation

Say this with your hands above your head (victory style) and repeat three times: I'm Alive I'm Alert I'm a LOT of fun!!

That should get you smiling!

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: