How can endo go undetected so long if the docs can look at our hormone levels?...for Janet Karam

Thu Sep 6 17:52:02 2001

Dear Janet K.

My comments are within the message you posted yesterday.

Dear Helen D., Janet Karam: I am interested in this hormone testing for endo?...a little confused because of your Dialogue with Kathy R.. How can endo go undetected so long if the docs can look at our hormone levels to see if it is active, or is it only in comparison with an individual's against her own "norm".

~ ~ ~

My comments: As you know I am not a medical professional! Today I did a search using the Search words: "Hormone testing"; and I posted several selected topics that I thought may provide an clue to your question - as well as help you and others become more familiar with the topic of "Hormones".

I'm not sure that I have an answer to your specific question; but my best guess is that Drs. simply do NOT routinely check hormone levels - unless their patient presents with symptoms that Dr. suspects may be related to elevated hormone levels.

I do know that when an endo patient's estrogen level is elevated, this excess estrogen will begin to "feed" the endo implants (as it normally does during the menstrual period). Even if the patient doesn't have any reproductive organs left, I believe that estrogen will continue this pattern of internal bleeding. I know that there are certain foods that provide the body with estrogen (Read the list of Antagonists that I posted ). Endometriosis thrives on estrogen; and as a result, endo implants will cause bleeding, the patient will develop scar tissue (or adhesions) and consequently experience more pain

I was surprised to read the following: "You can easily test your hormone level in the privacy of your own home, quickly and easily. NO blood tests and NO doctor visits! Knowing your body is the key to restoring and maintaining health. By using this extremely accurate but easy to use SALIVA TEST, (NO blood tests required) you will be able determine what may be causing your symptoms and take action to stop them!"

I read basically the same information at several sites; so I assume that a Saliva Test is accurate enough. I have no idea though who determines the outcome of the test - probably information about this is sent along with the hormone testing kits that one can order. It would be interesting to know if anyone has actually done their own hormone testing.

~ ~ ~ ~

Janet Karam: I ask this because my first Gyn appt is coming up next week since my surgery which found and excised my endo at the same time. Will he be able to look at my hormone levels now since I've had surgery to see if it has come back?

~ ~ ~ ~

My comments: Take some time to read the information I have posted about Hormone Testing. Perhaps you will find the answer to your question there. If you are concerned that your estrogen level (and/or the other hormones) may be elevated, this is something that you will want to discuss with your Gyn or Dr.. I'm not sure if a normal estrogen level is the same for every person or if it fluctuates according to perhaps body size, etc.

If you are concerned that your endo may be back (after your March 2001 surgery) and that it may be the cause of the return of your pain, write out questions that you would like to have answers to - BEFORE you go to your appointment next week. Then you will feel better prepared to discuss endo and estrogen with your Gyn. One last fact: Endometriosis, like adhesions, is still considered to be an incurable disease or disorder.

I hope this information will be somewhat helpful. Thanks for asking!! Love, Helen

Love to all,

Janet

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: