1.) You and Your Doctor

Fri Aug 24 13:05:24 2001

[]> YOU AND YOUR DOCTOR -- from *Endometriosis Interactive Support & Information* by Jennifer Lewis. Scroll down to find this information.

http://www.jenniferlewis.com/facts.html

You should approach your health provider with a sense of self and self-dignity. After all, you are a competent individual who is aware of her own body. You should be armed with knowledge of your particular concerns and feel comfortable to speak freely and easily with your provider.

To be your own advocate, you must overcome certain prevailing realities. As much as your physician would like to, she or he may not be current on all of the newest and most effective technologies and developments associated with your situation. Do your own research and be able to understand what your options are.

Utilize the physician as you would a friend, not a God. Patient and physician must create a mutually effective relationship. As much as doctors can lead us to information and work with us, they cannot work entirely for us. Empower yourself by being an active participant in your health care. Your doctor will appreciate and respect you more. Knowing your options comes only out of doing your homework before meeting with your doctor. Doing your own research is fundamental to receiving the best care. To further improve your knowledge, bring a paper and a pencil with you to write down the topics of discussion. You may also opt for a small recorder if you want to listen to what your doctor said in full detail later. Some women benefit from keeping all their appointments and research in one notebook. Keeping a diary also prompts questions you may want to pose to your doctor

[]> Sample Questions Include:

a) What are the benefits of doing this?

b) What are the risks?

c) What are my other options?

d) What should I do first?

e) What are the probable outcomes of each situation?

f) What is the probable outcome if I decide not to have this treatment?

Let your doctor know if you are uptight during an exam. Maybe your doctor hasn’t noticed that you’re clinging to the ceiling. My former gynecologist had Where’s Waldo pictures on the ceiling and it really helped.

But pain can’t be ignored or averted with a cartoon character. During the exam - if I wasn’t in the stirrups, I surely would have knocked the doctor out with one fail swoop. It’s O.K. to ask your doctor to stop the exam. It’s your body and your pain.

The doctor will invariably ask what your pain is like and where it is located. Be prepared. Keeping a pain log can be helpful to both you and your doctor. It is important to know when and where your pain is localized. This information can help determine which times of the month and places you are most sensitive.

In short, help your doctor help you. Be a an active health partner; and you will notice a difference in how you feel as far as having a say in your health.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: