Making the transition from a low residue diet to a diet with fiber.

Fri Aug 3 21:33:22 2001

[]] Making the transition from a low residue diet to a diet with fiber.

First, you need to know that my knowledge is based on what I have lived and what I have read. I do not have a medical background.

Were you on a low-residue diet before your surgery? If so, did your doctor suggest a low-residue diet for you? Possibly your doctor didn't; because doctors are not nutritionists. Most doctors either let their patient figure this out on their own or they send their patient to a nutritionist -- usually a nutritionist at a hospital. At least this has been my experience.

There are websites of informationt about low/fiber and low/residue diets. The information for these special diets states that when a person has bowel problems that a low-residue diet is helpful; and a low-residue diet is also often recommended after surgery.

Based on what I have read, a surgical patient should continue with a low-residue diet; and GRADUALLY add foods with fiber over a period of time -- as their bowel adjusts to the change in texture of foods.

If you have children, you will remember that when your children were toddlers, you gradually introduced them to the different textured foods -- from formula to bland cereals, to strained foods, to junior foods, and finally to foods with fiber.

After surgery your bowel needs a similar amount of time to adjust to these "new" textures of nutritious foods. It is also very important that you make a special effort to drink "at least 6-8 (8oz) glasses of water." It is also very important that you get exercise so that your bowels will be able to function at their best.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: