Re: intestinal bleeding

Fri Jul 27 20:40:17 2001

Donna, Sorry to hear about all of your problems and the dreaded tests you must go through. Best of luck to you and hopefully they will find the problem and then it will all be worth it. Hang in there! JEAN

Quote of the week: "Learn from the mistakes of others........ You can't live long enough to make them all yourself"

>----- Original Message -----
From: "Donna" <quinn@snet.net> To: "Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS" <adhesions@mail.medispecialty.com> Sent: Friday, July 27, 2001 9:27 PM Subject: intestinal bleeding

A short update: I had 2 bowel resections and lysis of adhesions in April of 2000. In June of 2000 I started bleeding from the anastomsis site of the colon resection. I had another colonoscopy in Jan and he took out 2 more polyps. I have continued to bleed and am now anemic. My hemoglobin bounces between 10-11.3 and my hematocrit runs between 32 and 34. So I am basically running on fumes. Yesterday I had a long discussion with my surgeon and he thinks I may have a tumor or av malformation in my terminal llium. He thinks there to much bleeding for it to becoming from the anastomsis site. So this is the plan.

On Thursday I am having an enteroclysis, which is having an NG tube threaded down to my small intestine and have the barium put in that way. I guess for small intestinal bleeding this is best test. I am not looking forward to having an NG tube but I guess I have to. If that is negative I will then have and angiogram of the mesentary artery and see if they can see the bleeding that way. I dread that also. Then an another colonoscopy and trip to the hemotologist (sp) to see if there is possible a problem with my bone marrow and that is why I am anemic which may be separate from the intestinal bleeding.

If all that fails then I may need to have surgery to try to find out where the bleeding is coming from.

So, I am happy that something is being done, I just really don't look forward to the process of finding out what it is. I am not really worried about it being cancer, I just don't have a great feeling about avoiding further surgery. Oh well onward and forward and think positive thougths.

Sorry for this being so long.

DMG

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: