How do I talk with my doctor or nurse about pain?...for LESA

Thu Jul 19 23:51:41 2001

How do I talk with my doctor or nurse about pain?

1. Speak up! Tell your doctor or nurse that you're in pain. It is not a sign of personal weakness to tell them about your pain. Pain is a common medical problem that requires urgent attention. So don't be embarrassed or afraid to talk about it. 2. Tell your doctor or nurse where it hurts. Do you have pain in one place or several places? Does the pain seem to move around?

3. Describe how much your pain hurts. On a scale from 0 to 10, zero means no pain at all and 10 means the worst pain you can imagine. In the past week, what was the highest level of pain you felt? When did you feel it? What were you doing at the time? When did it hurt the least? How bad does it hurt right now?

4. Describe what makes your pain better or worse. Is the pain always there, or does it go away sometimes? Does the pain get worse when you move in certain ways? Do other things make it better or worse?

5. Describe what your pain feels like. Use specific words like sharp, stabbing, dull, aching, burning, shock-like, tingling, throbbing, deep, pressing, etc.

6. Explain how the pain affects your daily life. Can you sleep? Work? Exercise? Are you able to do activities with family and friends? Can you concentrate on tasks? How is your mood? Are you sad? Irritable? Depressed? Do you feel unable to cope?

7. Tell your doctor or nurse about past treatments for pain. Describe any medical treatments you've had such as medication or surgery; and mention other approaches you've tried. Have you done massage, yoga or meditation? Applied heat or cold to the painful areas? Exercised? Taken over-the-counter medications, or supplements such as vitamins, minerals, and herbal remedies? Tried other treatments? Explain what worked and what didn't.

Tip: Write down your questions for the doctor or nurse before an appointment. People often get nervous and forget to ask all their questions. Take notes so you can review them later. If possible, bring along a family member or friend to provide support, help take notes, and remind you of what was said.

http://www.stopprpa.org/page_paguide.asp?#1

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: