Hi Lisa in NYC - Re: Todays Docter Appt.

Wed Jul 4 11:08:19 2001

Hi Lisa --

<< Between docters and Nurses (like the idiot who wrote the letter about abdominal pain and those w/ adhesions acting like drug additcts) and docters who see nothing in just cutting you open-what is a patient to do? >>

Know that there are doctors who have two answers to every problem: 1) Drug, and 2) Cut. If neither of these solutions work, frankly they don't know what to do. That's when it's time for another doctor, one who has compassion and can think outside-the-box. (I.e., other than the cut-or-drug philosophy.) It's not all their fault; I'm sure the way they are taught in medical school has a lot to do with it.

<<Question- I had a vaginal exam today, the pain was so intense I vomited in the office. Do you all have nauseau like this due to the pain? Im sure some of you do, but my its almost frightening to just vomit out of nowhere. Any suggestions for preventing such problems?>>

I talked about this with my PCP (who is GREAT!) and the anesthesiologist who worked my last surgery. Absolutely, they say, intense pain causes nausea and vomiting. The thing to do is try, at all costs, to avoid the things that trigger the pain.

Before my last surgery, when I would go in for an exam, I would take oral pain meds an hour before. Once I received a shot of numbing agent (one of the caine drugs) so the doctor could examine me and remove some small granulomas just inside the vagina. That is NOT a good place to get a shot!!!! I didn't barf that day after the exam, although I still couldn't really walk for three days afterwards. Intimacy with hubby produced the same response - nausea and vomiting. :( He felt as bad as I did about it.

Things are a lot better for me after the lap I had in April to remove adhesions/rearrange my parts. I'm not pain-free, but am a good bit better -- I will take whatever I can get! <G>

Maybe taking pain meds before your next doctor's visit will make the exam more bearable? TELL the doctor ahead of time that it likely will incapacitate you, to please do something for you to make it bearable. A good doctor will listen and try to help.

Have a great, pain-free day!

Love,

Lynda M. in AZ

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: