Re: PLEASE HELP ME HELP YOU: a few quick questions.

Fri Jun 29 16:47:30 2001

Ginny, I had not responded since I wasn't sure if mine would count since I don't usually take meds due to my ulcer and severe constipation problems which gets even worse with them, plus I have other major medical problems besides adhesions (hip replacement problems....I think anyway). >>
>> 1. Have you recently been refused or denied adequate pain medication?
>> (by "adequate" I mean, are you on a prescription that is not relieving
>> pain but the doctor has told you it "takes time" or that he cannot
>> prescribe anything more potent).
>
> Yes.

>
>> 2. What "excuse" did your doctor give you for not prescribing
>> narcotics/opioids? (fear of addiction, physical or psychological side
>> effects, etc)
>
> Before my adhesion surgery in May I was told by my Family MD I could "only" have Oxycontin because I was waiting for a scheduled surgery. If I wasn't waiting for surgery he would not give them. My hip surgeon also stoppped giving them because I would get addicted to them.
Oxycontin had been the "only" one my body tolerated and helped pain (at 10mg.). I threw up on 20 mg.

>
>> 3. What medication are you currently taking for pain? (name, milligrams
>> per dose and how many times a day). Is it effective?
>
> Darvocet-N 650 MG. Prescribed dose is every 6 hours as needed.
I "ONLY" have these because they are left-over refills for the break-through pain of my hip replacement last year since I had lots of refills.

I take the Darvocet only when absolutely, totally and uncontrollably jumping out of my skin in pain and not even able to concentrate at all or I wouldn't even have them left over.

No-one has offered me any pain pills since my hip replacement allowable recovery period, even though I still have major problems. My family doctor even asked me "Where did you get Davocet?" so I don't think he liked that I have them. Mind you... I have had 4 operations within 10 months time, 2 of which were replacements on the SAME HIP.

Darvocet is not effective, just takes edge off.

>
>> 5. Is your ARD related pain preventing you from being a productive
>> person? (able to work, take care of family, etc)
>
> I don't know how much is ARD related or otherwise since no doctor even knows what is wrong with me yet and I suffer from several things! I have had ARD for about 30 years though.
I cannot do anything except sit still at my computer for the past 1-1/2 years. I can't walk, bend, twist or stand without greatly increasing pain even using a crutch. My husband does the wash, most of the cleaning ( I dust every few weeks since he won't, which does me in for a week). He does the dishes, cooking (or eat out) plus he must work 2 jobs to compensate for my loss. I am trying to hold onto my home-based computer business but it is steadily declining no matter how hard I try. I cannot drive or walk to market my products, make deliveries or pick-ups. What gets done is what my husband can do after work.

I have not been able to "go out" to work for someone else for many years due to my adhesions, hip replacement & carpal tunnel. Even if I didn't have pain and disabilities my employers did not take too well to my 18 surgeries! I gave up!! My kids are grown up thank God.> >>

--
Jean (from PA)

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: