yummy easy recipe for the week! :D

Wed Jun 27 17:13:13 2001

OK, this one isn't quite as easy as the other I've been posting....honestly I was torn between posting a yummy really easy fruit dessert that helps in the bathroom dept.

HOWEVER, people are having such an awful time of things today, I thought it was time to bring out THE BIG GUN instead -- chocolate!!!!!!

DEATH BY CHOCOLATE (hey, that's how I want to go, sporting a chocolate mustache, clutching a whipped cream-covered spoon in my stiff cold fingers and wearing a BIG smile on my face! <G>)

from one of my dog friends, Diane Holliday originally from Art Ginsburg, Mr. Food

Serves up to 24 servings (Well, not really, but close)

It's easy, convenient (because you can make it in advance) and everyone loves it.

1 box (19.8 ounces) fudge brownie mix 1/4 to 1/2 cup coffee liqueur (optional) 3 packages (4 serving size each) instant chocolate mousse) 8 chocolate covered toffee candy bars (1.4 ounces each like Heath bars or Skor bars) 1 large container (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping thawed

Bake the brownies according to the brownie package directions; let cool. Prick holes in the tops of the brownies with a fork and pour the coffee liqueue over the brownies; set aside. Prepare the chocolate mousse according to the package directions. Break the candy bars into small pieces in a food processor or by gently tapping the wrapped bars with a hammer. Break up half the brownies into small pieces and place in the bottom of a large glass bowl or trifle dish. Cover with half the mousse, then half the candy, and then half the whipped topping. Repeat layers with the remaining ingredients.

Note: Instead of the coffee liqueur, you may substiture a mixture of 1 teaspoon sugar and 4 tablespoons leftover black offee, or leave out the coffee flavoring entirely.

Diane's notes: I find if I cut the brownies into small bite sized rectangles while still in the pan it is easier. I don't keep Kaluha around so I usually leave it out. If I use it, a small bottle like you can get from the drugstore is enough. I am not a Cool Whip fan, so I use real whipped cream. It is easy to make. I use 1 quart of heavy whipping cream, vanilla and powdered sugar whipped up in a bowl. This is the most expensive part of this dessert. I use a mousse mix. I've tried several and they are all about the same. But Jello instant chocolate pudding has a mousse recipe on the side of the box, too, that you just mix the powder with Cool Whip. To be honest the brownies and the health bars give the dish its main flavors. The whipped cream and the mousse make it rich and creamy.

If you do decide to make your own whipped cream, make it first, then you can make the chocolate mousse without having to clean your mixer beaters.

The surprising thing about this dish is that even though it is very rich and very creamy, it is not overly sweet. I have never made it that I don't get recipie requests. One of my neighbors said she has made it three times since I gave her the recipie, and no matter whatever else she serves that is all anyone talks about.

It really is good eaten the same day, but even richer the next day as the brownies start absorbing some of the whipped cream. You should try to make it far enough ahead that the brownies can cool before you layer with the whipped cream.

It is a very pretty dessert, and is on the front of two of Mr. Food's cookbooks. Hope you try it.

Bon appetit!

Love,

Lynda M. in AZ

"It was involuntary; they sank my boat." - John F. Kennedy, when asked how he'd become a hero

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: