Re: Welcome Kris C.

Thu Jun 21 07:59:39 2001

Kris,

Did you happen to read my story on the quilt? It sounds like we are virtually walking down the same road except you have had the ileostomies where I have only had the urostomy.

Due to the permanence of the urostomy I have an automatic weak spot in my abdominal wall....therefore my abdomen constantly herniates. In actuality I have no rectus muscle left and therefore no abdominal wall. Everything they have tried to prevent the hernias has failed. They have even taken the muscle tissue out of both of my legs to reinforce the abdominal wall...only for me to end up with more hernias less than six months later.

I am now scheduled to have skin expanders placed in my upper abdomen in late July. They will work over six weeks to tighten them and once in place they will do a second surgery to put them in the lower abdomen and do a new urinary diversion. Because the adhesions are now kinking off my ureters I have had multiple episodes of kidney shutdown. My doctors do not believe that I will survive this next surgery to place the expanders...I would think that the odds of my surviving two procedures is even less. But, I have been told that the kidney infections that I am now having one after the other are going to kill me. I have a very huge decision to make ahead of me. I have been leaning towards not having this surgery....but I just don't know. I want all of this to be over with.

--
Karla

>----- Original Message ----- From: "Cassell, Kris C" <tcc21922@GlaxoWellcome.com> To: "Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS" <adhesions@mail.medispecialty.com> Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2001 7:11 AM Subject: Re: Welcome Kris C.

> Karla: > My story is on the quilt and it makes me feel good that you would want to > read it. I have had 3 c-sections- partial hysterectomy-then a total > hysterectomy, removal of my spleen, appendix, large intestine, most of my > small intestine, multiple obstructions, two illeostomy's, two illeostomy > take downs, another bowel resection, multiple lycing of adheasions, multiple > surgical hernia's and the list goes on and on, literally. The ironic part > is that now they are doing surgeries to repair the damage that the other > surgeries have done. The only time they will surgically touch me now, is > when the pain becomes unbearable ( as it is now) or it is life threatening. > My surgeon said that each and every available place inside of me, the > adheasions have attached themselves too. During one lycing operation, it > took him every bit of 12 hours to just do 3/4 of them and then since the > rest had the appearence of not being attached to anything major, they > decided that the smartest thing would be to leave them alone. Anyway, it is > my hopes that I just make it through the work day, so wish me luck! > Kris Nester > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: Karla [SMTP:ifirgit@new.rr.com] > > Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2001 4:22 PM > > To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS > > Subject: Re: Welcome Kris C. > > > > Kris, > > > > When you get a chance please put your story on the adhesions quilt. I > > would > > love to read it. I am right there with you as far as the number of > > surgeries. I have had 26 since 1991 and more than 40 total. What type of > > complications have you had and why do you need more surgery? > > > > Karla N. > >

>> > ----- Original Message ----- > > From: "Janet Karam" <jkaram4@home.com> > > To: "Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS" > > <adhesions@mail.medispecialty.com> > > Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2001 2:46 PM > > Subject: Welcome Kris C. > > > > > Dear Kris, > > > > > > Welcome, welcome!!! I feel like we heve an insider in with our group > > > now...can't wait for you to report to us about the new oral medication > > that > > > disolves adhesions in 10 days or less!...oh, how I only wish it were > > true > > > that a drug like that was in the 'pipeline'! > > > > > > You said you are planning your 43rd surgery, I am amazed that you have > > > endured so many. When is this surgery scheduled...I will be sure to send > > you > > > extra hugs and love that day! > > > > > > Love, > > > > > > Janet

>> > > ----- Original Message ----- > > > From: "Cassell, Kris C" <tcc21922@GlaxoWellcome.com> > > > To: "Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS" > > > <adhesions@mail.medispecialty.com> > > > Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2001 5:38 AM > > > Subject: RE: Hello everyone > > > > > > > All: > > > > Good morning to everyone! I am new to this website but am EXTREMELY > > > > thankful that you are here! It is a satisfying feeling to know that I > > am > > > > not the only one that suffers! I am 42 years old and ironically to > > date > > > > have had 42 major abdominal surgeries and facing another within the > > next > > > few > > > > weeks. I work for a the worlds largest pharmaceutical company and I > > can > > > > shed light on the fact that there are some new medicines in what they > > > refer > > > > to as "the pipeline" for pain relief. The pipeline simply means that > > it > > > > will soon be undergoing human testing and then will be marketed. > > There > > > are > > > > so many people that do not understand this illness or what we have to > > deal > > > > with daily, so, I am in the process of writing a book about this > > subject, > > > > strictly from a personal point and would like to extend the offer to > > > anyone > > > > dealing with this the opportunity to submit any stories, poems etc. I > > > have > > > > a publisher that has expressed interest so hopefully the outcome of > > this > > > > will be to shed alot of light on this illness and bring it out in the > > open > > > > so that more research is performed. I have read alot of the emails > > passed > > > > back and forth in this group and I already feel like I have found a > > > > wonderfully, understanding home. I look forward to hearing from any > > and > > > all > > > > of you! > > > > Kind regards, > > > > Kris Nester > > > > > -----Original Message----- > > > > > From: Hchalm@aol.com [SMTP:Hchalm@aol.com] > > > > > Sent: Monday, June 18, 2001 11:10 PM > > > > > To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS > > > > > Subject: Re: Hello everyone > > > > > > > > > > Dear Jim: > > > > > > > > > > Thanks for stopping in and letting us know how you are doing. So > > good > > > to > > > > > hear that there are successes out there. Keep in touch. > > > > > > > > > > In Friendship, > > > > > > > > > > Helen Chalmers > > > > > > > > to the unsubscribe form at > > http://www.adhesions.org/forums/listcmds.htm > > > > > > > > > > to the unsubscribe form at

http://www.adhesions.org/forums/listcmds.htm > > >

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: