Re: Adhesions and Worsening bowel discomfort

Mon Jun 18 19:51:45 2001

I also do NOT take laxatives. I never have. Yes, I can back up for as long as two to three weeks, but eventually it has worked its way thru. It can be extremely uncomfortable, but it is something that I have become used to. I go thru a cycle where I do not go to the bathroom for a week or so...then I have diarrhea and then back again. I also cannot change my diet to fibers because that causes extreme diarrhea and with the urostomy I become severly dehydrated and end up in the hospital. I am so thankful that I have not needed to resort to the laxatives. That is just one more problem that I do not care to deal with.

--
Karla

>----- Original Message ----- From: "Robin" <rmasse2333@aol.com> To: "Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS" <adhesions@mail.medispecialty.com> Sent: Monday, June 18, 2001 7:44 PM Subject: Re: Adhesions and Worsening bowel discomfort

> Dear Ann > I don't take laxatives. My pain meds cause constipation, like most do, > but after we found out that my intestines weren't working, I was put on > Metoclopramide. Taking it has really made a difference in my bowel > habbits. I would recomend it to everyone taking constipating meds. > Robin > > At Mon, 18 Jun 2001, edward k vinson wrote: > > > >Hi Millie, > >I am answering this from a patient and nurse's point of view so please hear > >me out, because I have been both for much too long: > > > >1.A nasogastric tube can be different sizes, it depends on how the doctor's > >order' s are written or on the nurse's decision - hopefully the doctor > >writes the order specifically for the nurse (if she is the one doing it). > >2. If a patient requests a pain killer or a Sedative it IS the nurse's > >responsibility to administer it in a timely fashion and I know personally > >from being a patient often that does not happen. From the nurse in me I > >will tell you the reasons and I don't consider any of these a good reason > >but they are true - either the nurse is plain lazy or very busy (some > >hospitals have cut nursing staff to a dangerous low), or the doctor did not > >write orders for you to have it as often as you feel you need the > >medication/s BUT if this is the case I have always made it a habit to inform > >the patient as to why they are not getting what they asked for and I would > >then attempt to reach the physician for a change in the order if I thought > >it was possible - meaning if the new dosage would be within the normally > >precscibed amount. > >3. After any procedure that makes me ingest barium or any radio opaque fluid > >as in a CAT scan I have to start push fluids and take a fairly high dose of > >laxatives as soon as possible otherwise it sets up in my bowels like > >"cement"! No it is not healthy to depend on laxatives but I don't know > >anyone dealing with adhesions that does not have to take laxatives in some > >form. > > > >Sorry gotta go, > >In friendship, > >Ann (in Georgia) > >

>> >>----- Original Message ----- > >From: toni welsh <twelsh1@hotmail.com> > >To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS <adhesions@mail.medispecialty.com> > >Sent: Friday, June 15, 2001 9:04 PM > >Subject: Re: Adhesions and Worsening bowel discomfort > > > >> At Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Millie wrote: > >> > > >> >I know you get tired of my asking, but can anyone tell me how big a > >nasogastric tube is? Exactly how uncomfortable is having one put in place? > >If a patient requests a sedative first, (Begs for a sedative) are they > >supposed to give you any? How about if you request a pan shot, are they also > >required to do that, (as well as a sedative) if you ask? > >> > I know I shouldn't be asking this, but I want to know. I need to know. > >Is it safe to take any laxatives? > >> >What little bit I go is either loose, and not much, or else it is like a > >ribbon(not pencil-thin.) > >> >Why worsening trouble even after a CT scan about 3 days ago, and a > >"normal" colonoscopy to the cecum, in early April??? > >> >I feel like something not too good is happening to me, and I don't like > >it. > >> >Millie > >> > >> Millie, > >> > >> I got your email try to get on MSN tonight! If he thinks you are > >> developing ileus, I had one after suregry, and he did not let me go home > >> til it resolved!! > >> > >> Love, > >> TOni > >> >

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: