Re: rectocele?Jean Long ?

Tue May 22 11:44:17 2001

In a message dated 05/22/2001 9:12:46 AM US Mountain Standard Time, hipjaynie@webtv.net writes:

<< Is that the correct spelling ? And does it mean"protrusion or herniation of posterior vagina wall with anterior wall of rectum through the vagina" >>

Yeah, that's rectocele...lovely, isn't it... <G> Who thinks up these terms anyway? It sounds a lot worse than it really is.

<>

It isn't so bad, really. I had rectocele when I had my hyst in Oct. '99. On top of everything else, the rectocele has been the least of my worries. The rectocele didn't hurt or give me trouble post-op.

If you have rectal repair, make sure you take a stool softener post-op so when things start moving again, BM's won't hurt. The episiotomies I had after giving birth hurt far worse than my rectal repair, which really didn't hurt much at all.

In plain English, rectocele is when your rectal area "forgets" how it is supposed to be shaped. It has something to do with muscles and ligaments getting over-stretched or injured. Things get all out of whack and hemerrhoids (sp), painful BM's and other pelvic-floor troubles can happen.

I did not realize how mis-shapen my pelvic floor had become after two kids yada yada, but after the hyst, at least I got the pelvic floor of a 19 year old again. :)

Good luck if you have to have that, I'm sure you will be fine. Take care!

Love,

Lynda M. in AZ

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: