FW: GABAPENTIN Drugs known as anticonvulsants Article 4, 18 Apr 01.doc [uk.adhesions]

Thu Apr 19 15:15:58 2001

GABAPENTIN Drugs known as anticonvulsants Article 4 18/4/01

-----Original Message----- From: KathFindlay [mailto:klfindlay@adhesions.org.uk] Sent: 18 April 2001 20:30 To: Adhesions.UKAS Subject: GABAPENTIN Drugs known as anticonvulsants Article 4, 18 Apr 01.doc [uk.adhesions]

The UK Adhesions discussion List - http://www.adhesions.org.uk/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
ListBot Sponsor

---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------- GABAPENTIN Drugs known as anticonvulsants Article 4 18/4/01

TREATMENTS FOR EPILEPSY

Drugs known as anticonvulsants

DRUG;- GABAPENTIN

Drugs available Brand name(s) Forms available

Tablets Capsules Liquid Injection

Gabapentin Neurontin

What is gabapentin used for ?

Gabapentin is used to help in the treatment of various types of epilepsy, to help control the fits or blackouts. It is nearly always used with other antiepileptic drugs. Gabapentin is also being used to help as a mood stabiliser, where other drugs have not helped, but early evidence is not promising.

How does gabapentin work ?

Epileptic seizures (fits or blackouts) happen when an abnormal electrical discharge, like a short circuit causing a spark, occurs in the brain. There is a chemical messenger (or "neurotransmitter") in the brain called GABA which is "inhibitory" on the brain and slows it down. In some people it is thought that there may not be enough GABA in the brain, and that this helps to "trigger" fits. Nobody is very sure how gabapentin works at the moment, but it may increase the action of GABA in the brain, which helps to reduce the chances of a fit.

How should I take it ?

The capsules should be swallowed with at least half a glass of water whilst sitting or standing, so that they reach the stomach and do not stick in the throat. They cen be taken with or without food.

When should I take it ?

Take it as directed on the medicine label, usually at breakfast, mid-afternoon and bedtime. It is particularly important to take the doses regularly each day as directed by your doctor to make sure that you are getting the best control of your illness from your medicine. Do not go more than 12 hours without taking a dose.

How long will gabapentin take to work ?

Gabapentin should start to work soon after you start taking it. It may, however, take some time for your doctor to get the right dose for you, and you will probably need to increase your dose gradually over several days or weeks.

How long will I need to keep taking gabapentin for ?

Gabapentin is a "preventative medicine" and so will usually need to be taken for a long time. It is important that you keep taking this medication until your doctor tells you to stop. Do not stop taking it just because you feel better. If you stop it before you are advised to do so your condition may well get worse.

Is gabapentin addictive ?

Gabapentin is not thought to be habit forming. For further discussion, click here.

Can I stop taking gabapentin suddenly ?

You should never stop taking this medication suddenly or without advice from your doctor as this might mean an increase in fits or blackouts. If your doctor decides that you no longer require this drug it will be withdrawn gradually (like any treatment for epilepsy) to make sure that your fits do not return. This will usually be by a slight reduction in your dose every few weeks. You should therefore not experience any problems.

What should I do if I forget to take a dose ?

Start again as soon as you remember unless it is almost time for your next dose, then go on as before. Do not try to catch up by taking two or more doses at once as you may get more side-effects. You should tell your doctor about this next time you meet. If you are ill and vomit your tablets you should take that dose again. Missing a dose, or leaving more than 12 hours between doses, can cause your fits to return. The amount in your bloodstream may drop below the level needed to control your fits.

If you have problems remembering your doses (as very many people do) ask you pharmacist, doctor or nurse about this. There are some special packs, boxes and devices which can be used to help you remember.

What sort of side-effects might occur ?

Side effect What happens What to do about it

COMMON

Drowsiness You feel sleepy or sluggish the next morning. Don't drive or use machinery. This should wear off after a few weeks. If it does not, discuss with your doctor – it may be possible to adjust the dose.

Dizziness Feeling light-headed and faint. Don't stand up too quickly. Try and lie or sit down if you feel it coming on. Don't drive.

Lethargy You feel tired all the time and don't feel like doing anything. Your dose may be too high. Contact your doctor to discuss this.

Blurred vision Things look fuzzy and you can't focus properly. Don't drive. See your doctor if you are worried. He or she may be able to adjust your dose. You won't need glasses.

Stomach upset This includes feeling and being sick, and indigestion. If it lasts for more than a week or so, see your doctor. Your pharmacist may be able to help with something for indigestion.

Tremors Feeling shaky. It is not dangerous. If it troubles you, contact your doctor.

UNCOMMON

Weight gain Eating more and putting on weight. A diet full of vegetables and fibre may help prevent weight gain. See also a separate question in this section.

Sore throat Sore throat or cough This should wear off. If not, mention it to your doctor next time you meet.

Stammer Stuttering or stammer This should wear off. If not, mention it to your doctor next time you meet.

Anxiety Feeling more anxious or nervous This should wear off. If not, mention it to your doctor next time you meet.

Table adapted from UK Psychiatric Pharmacy Group leaflets, with kind permission (http://www.ukppg.org )

Do not be worried by this list of side effects. You may get none at all. There are other rare side-effects. If you develop any unusual symptoms ask your doctor about them next time you meet.

Will gabapentin make me drowsy ?

You may feel sleepy, so take care if you are allowed to drive or when operating any type of machinery. This effect should wear off or at least reduce after you have been taking it for a while.

Will gabapentin cause me to put on weight ?

About one in twenty people taking gabapentin put on some weight. If you do start to have problems with your weight, tell your doctor next time you meet as he or she can arrange for you to see a dietician for advice.

Will it affect my sex life?

Drugs can affect desire (libido), arousal (erection) and orgasmic ability. Gabapentin is not thought to have a significant effect on any of these.

Can I drink alcohol while I am taking gabapentin ?

You should avoid alcohol while taking gabapentin as it may make you feel more sleepy. This is particularly important if you are allowed to drive or operate machinery and you must seek advice on this.

Are there any foods or drinks that I should avoid ?

You should have no problems with any food or drink other than alcohol (see above).

Will gabapentin affect my other medication ?

Gabapentin is not thought to interact significantly with any drugs and so you should have no problems, although your doses may have to be assessed carefully.

If I am taking a contraceptive pill, will this be affected ?

It is not thought that there are any problems with "The Pill" and gabapentin, unlike many other antiepileptic drugs.

Will I need blood tests ?

You should not need any blood tests with gabapentin.

Can I drive whilst taking gabapentin ?

People suffering from epilepsy may drive a motor vehicle (but not a heavy goods vehicle) provided they have been free from fits for two years or if they have only had fits in their sleep for three years. You should consult your doctor about driving.

It is essential that you report epilepsy as well as sudden disabling attacks of loss or partial loss of consciousness to the 'Driver and Vehicle Licensing Centre' (DVLC). The DVLC will then make a medical assessment of your condition consulting with your doctor(s) where necessary. For more information see leaflet 'D100' ('What you need to know about driving licensing') which is available from most post offices, or contact the Driver Enquiry Unit, DVLC, SWANSEA SA6 7JL. (Telephone: 01792 772151 between 8.15 am. to 4.30 pm. on Monday to Friday). You will need to quote your Driver Number whether you write or telephone.

If you are allowed to drive remember that gabapentin can make you drowsy when you first start taking it and cause you to have difficulty concentrating. You must take great care when driving or operating any type of machinery.

It is a good idea to let your insurance company know if you are taking these drugs. If you do not, and you have an accident, it could effect your insurance cover.

http://www.nmhc.co.uk/epi1.htm

---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- To unsubscribe, write to uk.adhesions-unsubscribe@listbot.com ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: