Re: Trip to PA

Tue Apr 17 00:25:08 2001

Hi Shannon

I have just returned home after surgery and used many different things to help me et through the week. I am very nervous about hospitals, doctors & nurses these days due to a very traumatic time last year.

Firstly my kids are very important to me, and you are right, they do take it very hard. Because of the distance from home, they only go to visit me once this time, and they saw me the day after surgery, so there were tubes & IV lines etc running every where which always looks scarry to kids. I just explained what each one was for and let them ask questions, let them touch and look if that is what they wanted to do.

For the rest of the time, I communicated with them through their journals. Each of them has a personal journal in which they write letters to Shane and myself about all manner of things. I was able to answer questions, offer reasurance, love and hope for better times once this hospital stay was finished. My husband brought the journals with him each day, I wrote to them, and he took them home again. If this isn't possible for you Shannon, just write a letter, add a little each day, how you feel, the pain is getting better, what a nice nurse did for you etc and then give the letters to your children when you get home.

For me, I use meditation, I have a favourite beach that I take myself too. Firstly I think of the beach. Then I start concentrating on different sites, sounds and smells. I think about how the sand feels between my toes....wet sand....and dry sand. I hear the waves out at sea, and then coming in to crash on the beach. I smell the salty air and taste the sea water. I sit on the beach and gaze into the horizon and I feel calm, at peace and safe.

Shannon each of us has a favourite place.......a porch at home with a swinging chair that we like to sit and relax on, or a park, a view....whatever. Find that place Shannon & commit the details to memory, then when the need arises, you can visit that tranquil scene. I use it for pain management, to control nerves heading into surgery or when I am having a "depressed" kinda day.

If you have any questions about this Shannon, please feel free to email me wallamara@hotmail.com , I am also on ICQ #36199985

cheers & Hugs, Jo

At Mon, 16 Apr 2001, Shannon wrote: >
>Well, I went and visited PA and met the docs. I think it did help with
>some of my questions but being the worrier I am - I think it made me
>realize this was actually going to happen even more. Which has really
>hit me hard.
>
>I don't know how I am going to make this trip without being nuts. My
>date is April 30th. I am home now on medical leave since I am taking
>sooo many pain pills it is hard for me to function.
>
>I just keep thinking if this doesn't work - what will I do. I just
>don't think I can take another let down. My kids are taking this very
>hard. They are going to be 8 and 10. Any suggestions? I am looking for
>a list of things I need to take with me...any suggestions.
>
>--
>Shannon
>

--
You will never never know.......if you don't give it a go :)

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: