Re: Pain Pills - Chrissy's posting 4-12-01

Fri Apr 13 03:33:53 2001

I too have always taken phenergan with my pain medicine because any pain medicine makes me throw my guts up too. But I went to see the pain management doctor on Tuesday. He put me on 2 new meds. One is Neurontin and the other is Elavel. Both of these are used for things other than chronic pain but the dr said that they have found that they work good in patients with chronic pain. They sure have helped me too. Where the Vicoprofen numbed the pain some, these other drugs seem to really knock out what other pain I was still feeling. He is keeping me on the Vicoprfen too. He did tell me unless I want to be on pain meds the rest of my life that I should seek a surgeon who can and will help me. He would not refill my Phenergan though. He said that pain medicine sometimes makes people sick initially for the first one to two weeks and then goes away. He said if nausea continues after this amount of time that I should be going to see my GI to find out if there is something else wrong or if he can give me something to help the nausea. I am able to take the Vicoprofen now most of the time without nausea but I do make sure I don't take it on an empty stomach. I nibble on something small or try to take it with a meal. I am feeling so much better this week since the new meds. I have been able to go walking either by myself or with my two best friends. I am up and doing things around my house as well. It is wonderful. My husband looked at me tonight and said. "It is so good to have you back." I feel the same way. Since Sunday I have been walking 2 1/2 miles a day. Being inactive since December had really taken its toll on me. On Thursday I even walked 4 miles. I got some blisters on my feet but I don't care. I am proud that I got them! It feels great to be having my life back again. I wish I had gone to the pain management dr back in January instead of going through an unsuccessful surgery. I am really not ready for another surgery yet. And as long as I am feeling good like this and being able to exercise, I am not even worried about it. Has anyone ever taken either Elavil or Neurontin? Did it work well for you? Just wondering. The dr did say to really watch myself and not let myself fall into depression because when you get depressed it makes your pain seem so much worse. He said that it is not neccessarily because you are in more pain, it's just the depression makes you feel that way. He said that when you are depressed you bring everything inward and begin to focus on every detail of what your body is doing. So it all seems intensified. I believe my husband has kept me out of this. Although I do have days that I cry because I get so sick of having these adhesions and all the junk that goes with it. But since I have such a wonderful honey, I have been able to keep from going off the deep end with depression. When my hubby sees me starting to act that way, he will take me out, or my two best friends here will come drag me out of the house to go garage saling or to walk or even just to hang out at one of their houses. It is great to have so much love and support. I hope I can be of support to any and all of you because you have all been there for me too. I love you all so much. Thank you for being there for me since Janurary and helping me through so much. It was great to have someone to listen and understand what you are going through. I pray I can return all the love that you have shown me. I hope you all have a great Easter!

Love and huge bear hugs to all! Jenny <><

>From: "edward vinson" <argent@hemc.net>
>Reply-To: adhesions@adhesions.org
>To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS
><adhesions@mail.medispecialty.com>
>Subject: Pain Pills - Chrissy's posting 4-12-01
>Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 19:10:48 -0500
>
>Chrissy
>
>Regarding the "something" to go with pain medication, this may not be what
>you were referring to but Phenergan has been used for years with things
>like Demerol, it takes care of the nausea and enhances the narcotic affect.
> I can not take any pain medication well but in the hospital I have gotten
>Demerol post op before the days of the "Self Medicating Pump" and without
>Phenergan it makes me throw my guts up. I am sure there may be other
>things now but personally I stick by Phenergan because it has always done
>the trick for me.
>
>Ann (in Georgia)

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: