Re: Can someone help me please.......

Wed Apr 11 17:31:04 2001

Small bowel obstruction is usually and most easily diagnosed with a series of x-rays called a small bowel follow through. This is noninvasive and requires the patient to have a few preliminary abdominal x-rays, then drink a barium mixture. Then the patient must have more x-rays taken in various positions to see how the barium progresses in the digestive tract and system. The patient is then re-xrayed every 20 minutes or so, depending on their individual situation. It usually takes roughly one hour, or up to three to have the barium run its course through the small bowel. At this time the radiologist reads the films and determines if there is a partial blockage of the bowel. Of course if the barium stops flowing completely at one part of the bowel and fails to progress from that point in a matter of time determined by the technician, an obstruction is usually the culprit. A bowel perforation is sometimes found this way too. Contents of the small bowel will leak through the opening or perforation into the abdominal cavity or wherever the break may be. One patient I roomed with once had a perforation and got very ill and painfully distended, and she just had a small leak she said. You definitely don't want intestinal contents leaving the intestines, she had one heck of an infection too. Ended up with a bag after all of that, but she was okay the last time I spoke to her. All in all the x-rays are not much more exciting than that--just time consuming boy does the barium mess up your"system". It hardens like concrete in some people and runs through like liquid plumber in others. Good Luck

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: