Re: Heating Pads

Thu Mar 22 14:10:26 2001

Jenny, Do you have Gel heat pads in the states, I asked someone this before but did not get a reply. We have had these pads for over 12 years. They are safer than a hot water bottle, you put them in the microwave or in a bowl of hot water. When put next to your body they stay hot all night. They are very flexible, therefore good for sore necks, knees, etc. They cost about $10-$12. I was given one in hospital when I had my hysterectomy. It was great. They can also be put in the freezer and used as a cool pad. Great invention. I have an electric heat pad, but my Gel pad is my favourite as I can walk about with it stuffed down my clothes when out side in the cold. In friendship Kath Findlay

-----Original Message----- From: adhesions@adhesions.org [mailto:adhesions@adhesions.org]On Behalf Of jenny low Sent: 22 March 2001 02:19 To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS Subject: Re: Heating Pads

Hi Chrissie,

I know what you mean here about the heating pad. I sleep with 2 all night long and also have one on at least my tummy most of the day. I always thought it looked like a reverse giraffe coat. Instead of the dark big patches and the lighter color around the patches, I have the lighter patches and the dark around it. I know what it is called though. It is a funny name. It is called Erythema Ab Igni. I went to a dermatologist 11 years ago after using a heating pad and had the same thing. He took one look at me and asked if I had been using a heating pad. It is actually the blood vessels that are being drawn to the surface because of the heat. I think I remembered that right. I know the name is right though. I will never forget it because I thought it sounded funny. My tummy had just started looking better, you know fading, because I wasn't using the heating pad as much. But it has gotten worse again because the pain has. So back to square one. I guess I'll just be a giraffe. We should start a club for it. Can you think of a cute name for it? We know what our mascot could be. The giraffe of course! So you are not alone in this either. I try now not to sleep with it on high because I have had 2 catch fire on me. Well the wires get burned through and the second time I woke up smelling something that smelled funny and when I picked up my heating pad sparks were flying everywhere. I started screaming and my hubby woke up and yanked the plug out of the wall. It was pretty scary. Oh and once I was using the heating pad when we had our water bed and went to get a box of kleenex that I had down in the side of our water bed and when I pulled it up and it was wet. So I got up and pulled my waterbed mattress up and I was sitting in about 2-3 inches of water. I could of been electrocuted! So now we have a regular double pillow top king sized bed. No more chances. But here lately I have been having to sleep with my tummy heating pad on high. I don't sleep too good worrying about it. I have noticed though that both times right before my heating pads have caught fire, if you were to lay your head on them you could hear the electricity flowing through them. It made a buzzing sound. You could only hear it if you laid your head on them. I had used them around my neck or head previously before they caught fire due to migraines or knots in my neck. So I guess you could lay your head on them every once in a while to see if they are buzzing, huh? Sounds really stupid! LOL Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth. Here's to the giraffe club!

Love, Jenny

>From: Chrissy492@aol.com
>Reply-To: adhesions@adhesions.org
>To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS
><adhesions@mail.medispecialty.com>
>Subject: Re: Heating Pads
>Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 16:16:18 -0600
>
>hi Kel,
>Can you believe that I sleep with the heating pad on all night and live
>with
>it on my back all day?! I have these little burn marks on my tummy and