Re: gina & ARD members!!!!

Sat Mar 10 20:26:39 2001

You are quite welcome! I will defend anyone when it is warranted.

Which hospital in Philadelphia are you going to med school? Do you know Dr. Nazarian (with Balderson & Booth) at the Pennsylvania Hospital?

I had my hip replaced in 1994 due to Perthese Disease as a child. I was 45 at that time and with all old people. Last year I was treated for a possible infected hip replacement which involved getting 2 revisions within 3 months time. Ripping them out twice, breaking my bone and hammering them back in was a bit much that close together. I spent 2 months in a nursing home and 3 weeks in the Pennsylvanian Hospital in Philadelphia(just minor surgeries-right!). I had 6 weeks of intravenous antibiotics. I had gone for MANY tests & procedures prior to the surgeries. My veins won't give blood anymore and I have an abnormal EKG and anemia. I received Procrit shots and intravenous iron to try to build up my red blood cells....right before surgery it dipped again and I needed a blood transfusion anyway. I also had an abcessed cyst removed on my abdomen in this period of time. I was already dealing with the adhesions for a long time and then that on top of it!

To top it off....after all that I still have the same pain & still can't walk. I think it has been the adhesions all along (or at least in addition to it, making it much worse). I am determined to walk again eventually, somehow, some way. It has been over a year. It has been 6 months since the last revision. I should have gotten better by now. They did thoroughly check my back out also. I am thinking the adhesions may be pulling on a nerve or muscle to the leg, back & hip and since it is already my bad hip they may be aggravating it.

I wouldn't normally have time to be on the internet so much if my business wasn't greatly affected by the long convalescent period. I still can only sit which omits cleaning & cooking,etc. My business is much slower than normal so here I am. I have my own home-based business. I normally have a hard time just keeping up with the business and also our 7 rental units. We are trying to sell the 4-unit cause I just can't handle this anymore and we don't make any money on them anyway!

I think it helps if your family doctor refers you to a doctor. I got in with the surgeon pretty fast. My MD refered to him as a Genius. They are also friends apparently cause the surgeon told me to tell my family doctor I think the surgeon is cuter than he is (haha). This was after I told him he reminded me of my family doctor.

Good luck with your new doctor and your profession. JEAN (from PA)

At Sat, 10 Mar 2001, Trtglia1@aol.com wrote: >
>Dear Jean:
> All I can say is Thank You very much for your support. You also make a
>profound statement. I will never be discouraged or intimidated (even though
>I am still extremely upset at the phone call) and I believe we should be able
>to voice our opinions and findings and approach all of our situations as
>individuals. There is no quick or permanent fix. And one docs opinion and
>treatment style will differ from patient to patient. I also hope sincerely
>that everyone going to Scranton will find relief and success. Again, if it
>wasn't for the money and lack of manners I too would have pursued treatment
>there too. Oh by the way, I work everyday with patients young and old who
>have undergone hip and joint replacement. It is very much a major surgery!
>Most of our patients when released from our hospital floors post-op go
>directly to our rehabilitation/Physical therapy floor to recuperate and
>adjust to this major surgical procedure. Some, depending on their case, stay
>and get strong for up to 2-3 weeks in our occupational and physical therapy
>program, again depending on many factors.
>I am happy to hear that you have found confidence in a doctor in Reading.
>See, they are out there folks, we just must love to play hide and seek. I
>too have an appointment in two weeks. I was referred by my GI and so far he
>has been great. He apparently is friends with this doc and called him for me
>and got me in sooner than the customary six week consultation wait.
> Again, Thank You very much for your kind words. We must stick together
>and remember we all have one thing in common, our pain and desire to be well
>again. Life is far more interesting with healthy debates--I hope all of us
>can remain friendly and supportive to one another. Take care and stay well!!!
>Love,
>Regina T.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: