Your pain threshold can be elevated -- or lowered -- based on your emotional response to pain.

Sat Mar 3 09:54:06 2001

Sherry Marie posted the following message on July 10, 2000:

Chronic pain has become a part of my life. I try to consider pain to be a part of living. It is an expected and necessary part of our interaction with the environment. Pain can be viewed as a reminder of being alive. Fear, anxiety and depression can modulate one's perception of how bad the pain is.

One's pain threshold can be elevated or lowered based on emotional responses. Chronic pain persists long after we would expect it to go away. It can disrupt virtually every aspect of our normal pattern of living. And it may ultimately require us to make some major, long-term changes in our life-style.

All pain is real, whether or not physicians can find a clinical reason for it. It's your body and you know if something hurts! Doubting your own perceptions will just add emotional pain to the physical pain you are already experiencing. I feel a support group helps to give validity to your personal experience, as well as allows you to vent your feelings of depression or anger. Realize that it is O.K. Sherry Marie

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: