Part 1: Bev is pain-free following her April 22, 1999 adhesiolysis...

Thu Mar 1 19:05:02 2001

[ NOTE: All of the following information was posted by Bev after her April 22, 1999 adhesiolysis.]

~ ~ ~ ~

Part 1: Bev is pain-free following her April 22, 1999 adhesiolysis...

I am sure by educating ourselves as to the etiology of this disorder, we will be better prepared to address our treatment and even dictate what we think must be done to us in the event we choose to have an adhesiolysis done. I think I DO know a fairly correct theory on the etiology of adhesion formation.

Having had long discussions with pathologist friends of mine as well as surgeons, it is perceived that the peritoneum will generate pain... but there doesn't appear to be pain pathways on the external intestines. I feel that this is a true perception as I did not experience any other pain at any time throughout my 14 years with adhesion disorder.

In my two previous adhesional lysis, I experienced pain always in the lower right quadrant; and in each of those operational reports, I have ONE attachment to the peritoneum in that area!

I ask you all to secure your own operative reports for your own study, to acclimate yourself to the PROBABLE adhesion attachment sites that you have; and then compare those sites to your pain area. This will give you a semblance of awareness of why you suffer the symptoms that you do.

Keep in mind, each consecutive surgery might produce more adhesions; but you will probably be able to get a decent idea of your adhesional involvement

June 08, 1999 10:38 AM

Dear Friends,

I am sharing my experience of surgery performed under Dr. Harry Reich of New York City; since a number of you asked about it in greater detail. Please keep in mind that this is MY surgery and that each one of us has a case history unique to each one of us. I also am stating MY interpretation of how the body responds to and creates adhesions, as I understand that physiological process.

Previous to consenting to Dr. Reich's adhesional lysis procedure, I requested a copy of it so that I could determine for myself what was being done differently than the other adhesional lysis, which I had. I also checked out his credentials with the AMA - all very outstanding recommendations. I then asked for statistics of the surgery; and, even though he has not kept a following of his patients, he does have some figures on it and it looked to be the higher % of success for non-reforming adhesions with his procedure.

I also was put in contact with a woman who had undergone his lysis last June. We talked at great length ( e-mail ) and we continue to do so. She was a wealth of information and encouragement for me...and you can be assured that I am watching her case closely as it parallels my adhesional history very closely. Dr. Reich also videotapes his entire surgery for you.

Dr. Reich's theory regarding non-reforming adhesions is: "The solution to pollution is dilution!" And he stands by that phrase yet today.

This procedure is done through a minimally invasive route. One small incision in the navel for camera, two 1" to 2" incisions on each side of the lower abdomen for instrument use. Dr. Reich is the only ambidextrious surgeon in the United States - and that is a plus for us!

He does a diagnostic look-around upon entering the cavity -- looking for any invasive pathology besides adhesions. He evaluates the situation and then determines his plan of treatment. In the event that there are dense adhesions, he proceeds to dissect ( separate ) them. This is not an easy process and is very involved. I can understand why most doctors do NOT want to challenge themselves doing a lysis, which is dangerous and tedious - as the doctor is working right up against and around the intestines, etc.

( Continued in Part 2 )

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: