INTESTINAL ADHESIONS..........Helpful Suggestions......for Colette

Wed Jan 31 14:47:33 2001

I have taken the following information from messages, which have been posted on the IAS Message Board. These comments are not listed in any particular order. I thought that someone else might find these comments helpful.

~ ~ ~ ~

1.) Someone mentioned that she drinks 2 - 8 oz glasses of water BEFORE every meal...everyday without fail; and she said that this has really helped her.

* Have you tried doing this?

* Are you willing to give it a try?

There is nothing harmful about drinking water!! In fact, our bodies require at least 8-10 glasses of water everyday!!

~ ~ ~ ~

2.) The food you eat each and everyday can make a difference!!

* Are you following a low-residue diet?

I remember reading the following: "When a person has intestinal adhesions, a low-residue diet can be helpful."

~ ~ ~ ~

3.) Someone commented: "You are right about the diet. Popcorn is my absolute favorite food. I haven't touched it for over six months. Ruffage of any kind: such as the skin of fruits, nuts, fiber etc... all cause me trouble. Beef is also not very good for me anymore."

~ ~ ~ ~

4.) I also read this message: "I take phayzme pills for gas and several stool softeners each night to keep things "soft."

~ ~ ~ ~

5.) This person shared what the doctors at Scranton, PA told her: "I wanted to share some information I received from Dr. Redan & Dr. Reich's office. Due to the fact that I have intestinal adhesions, I suffer from bowel problems and obstructions. I was put on a liquid diet which then progressed to a soft diet. Scranton told me to continue taking Metamucil and Colace daily. They called Colace "lube for the tube"!!! I am also to stay on a very soft diet ... small portions ... peel all fruit ... eat prunes ... and do not eat popcorn."

~ ~ ~ ~

6.) This person says: "I haven't totally cut beef out of my diet; but I know it bothers me much more than chicken or pork. Steak is always a problem; but softer beef is OK."

~ ~ ~ ~

7.) This person has many helpful suggestions: "A few things I do: Ensure drinks ( they aren't bad tasting....I like Vanilla ), soy protein drinks with fruit juice ( no pulp ) and tofu mixed in. I have a juicer so I make carrot and veggie juice when I have time. Odwalla carrot juice and super green drinks. With the drinks I feel sure I'm getting all my vitamins. I also take flaxseed oil capsules 1000 mg. and multi vitamin once a day. I usually try to have liquid stuff for breakfast and lunch. Then I can have a small dinner with my husband. One important thing is to CHEW, CHEW CHEW!! I've always been a fast eater; but now I'm trying to take it slow and eat small bites and chew."

~ ~ ~ ~

8.) Maybe this will help you: "The only thing that helps is to get up in the morning ( before drinking or eating anything ) and drink 8 ounces of cold ( from refrigerator ) prune juice ... followed by a hot drink ( coffee, tea ). This causes a bowel movement within 2 1/2 to 3 hrs. Maybe this will help you."

~ ~ ~ ~

10.) My suggestion doesn't pertain to any of the above suggestions. This is what I believe to be very helpful:

Many surgeons will NOT perform an adhesiolysis procedure ( especially if intestinal adhesions are involved ) unless the patient IS having an emergency bowel obstruction!!! If an emergency bowel obstruction is the only time that surgeons will do surgery for adhesions, then you are at the mercy of JUST ANY surgeon!!!!!!!!!

I think it makes more sense to seek a surgeon, who has had advanced laparoscopic training and who has alot of SKILL AND EXPERIENCE with adhesion procedures ... which is imperative for an adhesiolysis procedures to be successful!!!

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: