Re: adhesions/partial obstruction show up on test?

Tue Jan 30 15:07:19 2001

Hi Jill,

Unfortunately, the actual adhesions won't show. The radiologist technician is in the room with you...not the radiologist himsef. It is the radiologist who then rights the reports, according to stills that were taken during your procedure. The radiologist technician, by law, is not allowed to tell you what they think, or what they see.

In my case, during this barium procedure, I pointed to an area where I was having a significant amount of pain. The technician had 15 years of experience and knew of adhesions(we should all be so lucky)...when he pressed on this area, he noticed that a loop of intestine would not separate...that this was likely an adhesion...he was brought before the medical board, almost got sued by the Dr. who preformed my previous surgery, and came inches from losing his job for suggesting this....I never otherwise may have learned of adhesions.

Even though my report from the radiologist reads that there was slowing of barium in this particular area suggesting adhesions, my G.I. reported the results to me as normal, saying that there was a "slight change" in my bowel which was normal after surgery.

My first experience with a partial obstruction was a polyp in my transverse colon...that's what started this whole mess.

Even though a barium enema found this mass and the radiologist had to come in and give me a glucogen injection so the barium could flow through...this radiologist pronounced my test normal. He reported that this was most likely fecal matter. The G.I. told me that my test was normal...that I had IBS.

Luckily, I watched the screens both times, and knew something wasn't right, and requested copies of the test results.

Trust yourself and your body...what the tests show, and how they are interpretted it often incorrect.

Love,

Janet

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: