Re: rx no longer working - need to just vent a bit . . .

Sun Jan 28 18:51:09 2001

Dr. Gerhart,

Thanks so much for the info - it is interesting about the fiber - it makes so much sense, as I seem to "hurt inside" so much more when I eat fibrous or heartier foods.

I will heed your advice, and try to relax and enjoy myself!!

--
Jill

At Sun, 28 Jan 2001, Dr. Gerhart wrote: > >Jill, >The constipation alternating with diarrhea is a little concerning. There >are a number of things that can cause this (such as irritable bowel >syndrome), but it can also be a sign of partial bowel obstruction from >adhesions. What happens is this: there is a narrowed area in the >intestines that is not completely blocked, but which blocks larger food >pieces as it is being digested. When a blockage occurs you experience >constipation until enough force builds up behind the food to force it >through the narrowed area, and diarrhea results. Then food gets stuck >at the narrowing again, and stays until pressure builds up, and the >whole thing starts over. > >This is probably why your doctor was concerned and recommended you see a >surgeon, to prevent complete obstruction from occurring. Unfortunately, >as others on the message board have mentioned, many surgeons do not >recommend surgery until complete obstruction results, and it is too >late. Fixing the problem before it becomes severe is generally better. >The reason surgeons have waited to operate is because they know that >surgery causes adhesions, so operating hasn't made sense - until the >advent of laparoscopy which creates few new adhesions. Although many >surgeons who perform basic laparoscopy consider adhesions a >contraindication to laparoscopic surgery, there is a growing number of >advanced laparoscopic surgeons who will deal with this. It may take >some hunting, but you will probably be able to find an advanced >laparoscopic surgeon willing to take your case near where you live by >asking your doctor and friends and making some calls. > >One thing I will recommend to patients in the mean time is to eat foods >LOW in fiber, and drink a lot of fluids. This reduces the amount of >undigestible particles in the food passing through your intestines, and >will generally make you stool smaller and easier to pass through narrow >areas. Foods rich in carbohydrates (sugars, rice, potatos, pasta) are >digested high in the intestinal tract, and become liquid quickly. You >won't have any trouble finding these on your cruise! Unfortunately, high >fiber diets are healthier for your intestines long term, and low fiber >diets can lead to constipation (even without narrowed areas) so this is >not a long term solution. > >By the way, enjoy your cruise. I avoided cruises for a long time >because I was afraid of being sea sick. Finaly my wife convinced me to >go (she drug me there), and we loved it! I am sure you will too. Have a >great time! > >Dr. Gerhart >http://www.generalsurgeryinfo.com > >-- >Dr. Gerhart >

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: