Re: Hi

Sat Jan 20 09:24:59 2001

On 20 Jan 2001, at 2:51, Jenny wrote:

> Hello everyone,
> My name is Jenny. i am 34 years old. I have had three adhesions
> surgeries.

Jenny,

It sounds like you are a person prone to adhesions -- and they are causing your pain.

First of all, the nurse had absolutely no business suggesting that you were addicted to pain meds. Addiction is a very powerful word, and it takes an expert to diagnosis true addiction. Frankly, lots of people who take pain medication become dependent on the drug. When the pain goes they can safely withdraw from it and do.

So, how about trying again with some pain meds. This summer I found that I needed to move to stronger and stronger meds until my bowel obstruction surgery finally brought the whole problem to a howling head. After surgery, I used pain meds for about three weeks and no longer needed them.

Pain exhausts you. Don't let folks around you make judgments about the time you need to spend resting. As I have told others, I am more comfortable in a recliner when the pain is bad. You might try that to get some sleep.

Finally, be careful with that heating pad. I have a bad scar on my tummy from falling asleep on the heating pad and burning myself. The nerve endings are sometimes cut during surgery. I have no feeling at all in the skin of my right abdomen so a burn just sizzles along without my noticing.

Take care,

Kate

--
Kate Murphy
katemm@mindspring.com

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: