bowel trouble

Fri Nov 3 20:58:20 2000

Hi Toni and also Nanc....I'll respond to both at the same time.

I have been going through the very same things as you both have. I have had my local surgeon turn me down flat and also a GI laprascopic surgeon in Stanford also said no way. I have been following the low residue diet as much as possible and it does help. But sometimes I end up getting blocked up for days on end. I then of course resort to the Fleet laxative. What a way to live....huh?

This past Monday I had a barium enema test done which by the way the radiologist said came back normal. Yeah right....that is why I was in incrutiating pain while they were doing the test! I'm glad the insides of my intestines are looking OK but that has nothing to do with the adhesions that pull them to my left hip when I have food/fiber lodged in there. So I spent $300 bucks on sonogram that showed nothing...and who knows how much for the barium test...which they also said is clear...and for what? Just to be told we will not do surgery on you JUST for pain. They used those words.

I realize that we have to be very careful about the surgeons we choose to deal with. We need to make sure that they know what they are doing with adhesions. But, like you, I can't, by no stretch of the imagination, afford to go to Drs. R & R, or Dr. Korell.

The one thing I have noticed is that my pain was a bit better for several days after the barium enema prep. So I figure until I can find the right doctor or afford to go to the best.....I will do a barium test prep day every so often. Which means nothing but clear liquids all day and several doses of Fleet. From a doctor's view point I don't know if that is the thing to do....but I do know that when my intestines are emptied the pain decreases substantially. I do take a multi vitamin and drink Ensure and drink lots of vegetable drinks like V8 and mega-green. On a daily basis I drink prune juice and citrucel as well as stool softeners.

I feel your frustation....but we just have to hang in there. I think that in dealing with this disease we become very in tune with our bodies. I know for sure that certain foods, like popcorn, nuts, salad, beef and sad to say cheese, etc.. will cause me pain. I also know what types of physical activity will cause me trouble. Our turn will come when we will find the right doctor who understands and will help. In the meantime, we need to be good to ourselves physically and mentally. Not always easy, I know, but I know for sure that I DO feel better when I am staying positive.

Sending out a big hug of friendship & understanding, Verna

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: