Messages from people, who suffer from bowel obstructions, about what helps them...

Thu Oct 5 01:24:39 2000

[] From: Helen Dynda (olddad66@runestone.net)

Fri, 8 Sep 2000 16:15:19 -0500 (CDT) I am sorry to hear that you continue to be in sooo much pain; and that you are having severe constipation problems!! And you seem to be so anxious about needing to do something - such as going to the ER room!!

Last month someone mentioned that they drank 2 glasses ( 8 oz.) size BEFORE EVERY meal they ate...everyday without fail; and that this was really helping them. Have you tried that? If not, are you willing to give it a try? There is nothing harmful about drinking water!! In fact, our bodies require at least 8-10 glasses of water everyday.

The foods you eat each and everyday can also make a difference!! Are you following a low-residue diet? Or are you eating foods with fiber? I read someplace that when there is adhesions' involvement with the intestines, that a low-residue diet can be helpful.

Many surgeons WILL NOT do surgery for adhesions ( especially involving the intestines ) -- UNLESS their patient IS HAVING AN EMERGENCY BOWEL OBSTRUCTION!!!

If an emergency bowel obstruction is the ONLY TIME that many surgeons will do surgery for adhesions, then you are at the mercy of JUST ANY SURGEON!!!!!!!!!

I think it makes more sense to seek a surgeon, who has had the advanced training and ALOT OF EXPERIENCE so very necessary for having success as a result of adhesiolysis procedures!!!

[] From: Verna Cohen (verna@mcn.org)

Tue, 26 Sep 2000 20:42:11 -0700

After I wrote my message I read yours and so much of your note sounds like what I go through. I'm finding out that physical labor is a no no for me. You are right about the diet. Popcorn is my absolute favorite food - I haven't touched it for over six months. Ruffage of any kind, the skin of fruits, nuts, fiber etc... all cause me trouble. Beef is also not very good for me anymore. Somewhere on the net I read info that a man wrote about the soft diet he uses for adhesions...I think it was at the Mayo Clinic site. If I can find it again I'll send it through. I take phayzme pills for gas and several stool softeners each night to keep things "soft". I hope some of this helps. Take care...and hang in there. Verna

[] From: Sherry Marie (SMGNWV@aol.com)

Wed, 27 Sep 2000 19:32:56 -0500 (CDT)

I wanted to share some information I received from Dr. Redan & Dr. Reich's office. I am scheduled for surgery in Scranton on Oct. 30th. Due to the fact that I have intestinal adhesions, I suffer from bowel problems and obstructions. I was also hospitalized for 11 days this month for pain control and tests. I was put on a liquid diet which then progressed to a soft diet. My stool is often pencil thin. Scranton told me to continue taking Metamucil and Colace daily. They called Colace "lube for the tube"!!! I am also to stay on a very soft diet, small portions, peel all fruit, eat prunes,& do not eat popcorn. I hope this helps. I will be going for some pre-admission tests soon and will keep you informed. My best to all of you. Sherry Marie

[] From: Verna Cohen (verna@mcn.org)

Thu, 28 Sep 2000 06:39:16 -0700

Thank you Helen for sending all the information to us. I looked through several of them. I am surprised that many of them say that beef is okay though. I remember reading this one man's diet and he said no beef. I haven't totally cut beef out of my diet but I know it bothers me much more than chicken or pork. Steak is always a problem but softer beef is OK. A few things I do: Ensure drinks (they aren't bad tasting....I like Vanilla), soy protein drinks with fruit juice (no pulp) & tofu mixed in. I have a juicer so I make carrot and veggie juice when I have time. Odwalla carrot juice & super green drinks

With the drinks I feel like I'm sure I'm getting all my vitamins. I also take flaxseed oil capsules 1000 mg. and multi vitamin once a day. I usually try to have liquid stuff for breakfast and lunch then I can have a small dinner with husband. One important thing is to CHEW, CHEW CHEW!! I've always been a fast eater but now I'm trying to take it slow and eat small bites and chew.

Thanks again Helen. Sherry........best of luck! Our thoughts are with you. Please keep us updated when you can. Thumbs up!

Verna

[] From: anonymous (anonymous@medispecialty.com)

Wed, 4 Oct 2000 15:36:39 -0500

I have had a colectomy due to diverticulitis and have a partial large bowel obstruction where the colon was sutured together. It has been only 4 months and I don't know if it will steadily get worse. Right now I am living with it, but bran, stool softeners, citrucel or anything like that does not help at all. The only thing that helps is to get up in the morning, before drinking or eating anything, and drink 8 ounces of cold (from refrigerator) prune juice, followed by a hot drink (coffee, tea). This causes a bowel movement within 2 1/2 to 3 hrs. Maybe this will help you. Hope so.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: