Re: Surgery & Smokers

Sat Aug 12 18:27:18 2000

I know that I was questioned to death about whether or not I smoked before I had my surgery. Given what happened to me in my latest go around I would have to say....why would anyone want to risk death if it can at all be avoided? I have never smoked, so I cannot begin to understand just how difficult it is to quit. But, I can tell you just how difficult it is to go through cardiac and respiratory arrest...which is what Dr. Redan and Dr. Reich are trying to avoid. It is a very unpleasant experience. There were no bright lights or sensations that I had met my Lord! There were just many, many medical personnel intruding into my body...trying to do cpr, trying to do a tracheostomy, trying to place the airway...trying to establish an arterial flow......trying to take xrays...but most importantly trying to keep me alive! And then there was me....trying to fight all of them. Why, oh God, would anyone want to keep themselves at risk for this happening to themselves if they could prevent it in any way?

If nothing else, there are wonderful pills available, that make quitting smoking so much easier. I have had quite a few family members use these pills and they were all successful and not one of them has started smoking again...for many it has been more than two years. If you can't stop permanently...at least try to stop for the period from now until you are on your way to a healthy recovery from your surgery? Finding a doctor that is willing to operate on you because you don't want to quit smoking is like playing Russian Roulette. Why gamble? I am not pointing fingers at anyone....I am talking to everyone. Actually when you seek out a doctor that is willing to operate on you because you smoke you are selling yourself short in a number of ways...but the most important way is that you are sacrificing surgery with the two most successful surgeons in dealing with adhesions in the world. Are you willing to continue living in pain so that you might continue to smoke?

Please understand that I am not trying to be judgemental of smokers....my daughter smokes as have other family members. I just care about each and every person on this list and want you to get the best help available out there and if it means kicking ya in the butt to hear it...well so be it.

Love,

Karla

>----- Original Message -----
From: rsh4799@att.net Sent: Saturday, August 12, 2000 5:09:32 PM To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS <adhesions@mail.medispecialty.com> Subject: Re: Surgery & Smokers

> Dr Semertzides will work on people that smoke. I know
> that for a fact.
> > Hi Robin,
> > Just to let you know I had surgery on 7/24/00 by Dr. Redan and Dr.
Reich. > > When Dr. Redan came to my hotel room the day before surgery he asked
who > > smoked. The smoke was lingering in my hotel room....both my husband and
I > > smoked. When I told Dr. Redan that he said if he knew prior to my
surgery > > that I smoked he would not have performed surgery on me. I was in
total > > shock. I just learned at that meeting what smoking was doing to me -
not > > only the bad things but the oxygen to my inners not allowing full
recovery. > > I had picked a quit date to stop smoking and will do everything in my
power > > to make it work. I know what pain I go through in my life is not worth
> > lighting up. My husband and I know how hard it is to quit as we had
tried in > > the past to quit. I don't think we will try to quit together this
> > time......lol
> > Just to let you know you are not alone. I will be here to help and
support > > you each step of the way. Good luck
> > ~Chrissie
> >
>

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: