Re: Ringers solution at end of surgery?

Fri Jul 28 10:19:05 2000

I am not an expert on ringers solution; but my guess is: by instilling ringers solution at the conclusion of surgery, this helps to keep internal organs from touching each other...thus preventing them from sticking together.

I say this because, as I understand from what other people have said that, surgical patient have so much ringers solution instilled that they actually look like they're pregnant...and, as a result, they make many, many trips to the bathroom as well.

At Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Karla wrote:

Linda,

Yes. You want your surgeon to perform clot evacuation while he is doing our surgery. You want him to find even the most minute speck of blood and emove it from your abdomen. Foreign bodies such as specks of blood are just another reason for the reformation of adhesions.....thus eliminating ny foreign bodies is extremely important. It is a very time consuming, meticulous procedure.....often adding hours onto the length of your surgery and thus the reason why many doctors do not utilize this procedure....but that is also the reason why so many of us have adhesions. The reason for ringers? Perhaps others can answer that better.....my belief is that under surgical procedures the insides of your body become very rough and dry.....a hotbed for the reformation of adhesions. Thus if you "flood" your abdomen with the solution for the short reformation period after surgery you eliminate another problematic source. I could be way off base with this....but I don't think so.

These are some of the details that you need to find out if your surgeon mploys in his procedures. Like I said earlier...ask him to explain his rocedure. If he is not using these methods now......don't get him to do our surgery. Don't even make the suggest that they use this method during our surgery. It is very easy for them to say....oh yes, we will do hat......but because it is such a time consuming procedure and the eimbursement from your insurance is so small....very few are f=willing to articipate.

Hope this helps.....Karla

>----- Original Message -----
From: Linda Ehler <mindful@olypen.com> To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS <adhesions@mail.medispecialty.com> Sent: Friday, July 28, 2000 12:20 AM Subject: Ringers solution at end of surgery?

Hello...I believe Karla mentioned something about leaving Ringers solution in abdomen at end of surgery and also something about clot ? Do you want your surgeon to do these things? I didn't clearly understand. Thanks Linda

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: