Re: Painful sex, pain clinics, and other scattered thoughts

Sun Jun 25 23:47:35 2000

Without a doubt stress and depression (considered ailments of the psyche) contribute to and antagonize the pain. However, if a doctor truly believes the pain is all in your head - that's ALL Jay not some - then the ethical thing for him/her to do would be to refer that patient to a psychiatrist. I've had two (out of 10 or 11 I've lost count) tell me that very thing in the last six months. Fortunately for me, the PCP I now have, shook his head when we got to that part of my history and said "A doctor should be very careful when giving that diagnosis. Did he in fact refer you to a psychiatrist or suggest a psych eval? No? Then he didn't *truly* believe it himself did he?" At the end of the appointment he prescribed Duragesic 50mcg patch for me and it was the first relief I had gotten in over a year. It is not uncommon for some doctors to have a preconceived notion when their patient is female and of a certain age. Having had a total abdominal hysterectomy just adds fuel to their fire. BTW - when I read the report from Dr. A I fired him the next day and filed a formal complaint with my insurance carrier.

Just out of curiosity Jay, has a doctor ever told you or written in his report that he thought your pain was all in your head? If so, did he send you to a shrink or just let you continue to deal with the pain?

--
Marla

-----Original Message----- From: Poutinen, Jay <jpoutine@uwsp.edu> To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS <adhesions@forum.obgyn.net> Date: Sunday, June 25, 2000 11:24 PM Subject: Re: Painful sex, pain clinics, and other scattered thoughts

>It's very discouraging when your doc thinks "the pain is all in your head." >The fact is, you do feel pain. On the other hand, pain signals come from >your brain. It's possible that some amount of relief can come from >"treating" all parts of the body, including the brain. So, please don't >disparage when your doc makes that suggestion, rather, give it some >thoughtful consideration. > >-----Original Message----- >From: nanny@nbnet.nb.ca [mailto:nanny@nbnet.nb.ca] >Sent: Sunday, June 25, 2000 8:56 PM >To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS >Subject: Re: Painful sex, pain clinics, and other scattered thoughts > >Since my GP seems to think the pain is all in my head >

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: