Fw: Do you experience nausea as a result of adhesions...my interpretation

Wed Jun 21 13:12:19 2000

In letters from Janet ( both letters are included in my first message on this topic.) - Janet says that she is has been suffering from chronic nausea since a ruptured appendix in 1997. She knows that she has adhesions; and she experiences little or no pain, and diarrhea rather than constipation. If you are also experiencing similar symptoms, I hope that you will share your experience on this Message Board.

~ ~

"Do I know if adhesions in and of themselves can give nausea?" I'm not sure how to answer that question; but I will try to give you my interpretation.

First of all, you mentioned that you developed adhesions following your ruptured appendix in 1997. Because the contents from a ruptured appendix are an irritant and a contaminent to the abdominal/pelvic cavity, the result is peritonitis - which causes body organs to stick together or, in other words, causes adhesions to develop.

Bev. ( bnb@cybrzn.com )sent me 3 videos of adhesion surgeries, which Dr. Harry Reich had performed. One of these videos was hers. The first surgery took 2 hours to complete, Bev's surgery took 5 hours, and the third surgery took 10 hours before Dr. Reich was finally done!!! ALL WERE VERY DIFFICULT ADHESION SURGERIES!!!

I was amazed that Dr. Reich was even able to proceed with each of these surgeries!! On these videos both small and large intestines appeared to be literally "glued together" - as if someone had sprayed them with Crazy Glue!!! It was impossible for me to be able to even see the intestines!!! I watched each video as Dr. Reich very carefully and methodically separated the intestines, which had literally become fused together as a result of adhesions. Dr. Reich performed all three surgeries LAPAROSCOPICALLY!!!

When the small and large intestines are attached by adhesions, this is known as a "frozen pelvis." I remembered that I had read information about a "frozen pelvis" in the past; but at that time I did not really understand what this meant - not until I actually viewed the videos and saw evidence as to what a "frozen pelvis" looks like. Now I can fully understand what is meant by a "frozen pelvis" and what problems can happen as a result.

When the intestines are adhered together by adhesions, the intestines are prevented from moving digested food along as they are meant to. If this is true, I would think that there would be loops in the intestines, which could make it very difficult for food to pass through. Right?

Picture a sink drain that is not draining properly - and I think you will be able to visualize what can happen. Unless that clogged sink drain is cleared, this could become a chronic situation too. Now return to the "frozen pelvis" where the loops are not able to move as freely as they are meant to move - because the loops are encased in adhesions. Could this possibly explain the cause of Janet's chronic nausea...and problems with diarrhea instead of constipation? Does that make sense?

Janet did not say that she was suffering from constipation and alot of pain. How can that be if her intestines are melded together? I have learned that the outer surface of our small and large intestines do not have nerve sensors. There are definitely nerve sensors on the inner part of our intestines. It is what the intestines are attached to ( such as the abdominal wall, ovaries, etc. ) that causes people so much pain. So my guess is that Janet's intestines are fused together but are not attached to other parts of her abdominal/pelvic anatomy, which could cause pain if her intestines would be attached to them.

Since Janet is experiencing chronic nausea, I "think" it is possible that there could be a loop or loops of her small intestine which is/are partially permitting some food to pass on to the large intestine - which I "think" may explain her chronic nausea and diarrhea. Why doesn't this show up on X-rays? I don't really know; but I do not think that X-rays have the capability to show a partial blockage of the intestines. What do you think?

I would appreciate your input. Thank you!

--
Helen Dynda

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: