Re: Pain meds for adhesions?

Thu Jun 15 12:12:10 2000

-----Original Message----- From: LNewman@milbank.com [mailto:LNewman@milbank.com] .... You mentioned that withdrawal is painful ... and I would like to know a little more, especially what kind of pain are you referring to and the fact that I thought that they give you another drug (methadone) to cut the morphine and bring you off slowly so that you do not suffer through withdrawal. ... One time my pump ran out.... I started going through withdrawal and it was an ugly sight. I was sick as a dog.... ---------------------- It sounds like you experienced withdrawal yourself. The drugs I mentioned ---------------------- (Demerol, Fentanyl, and methadone) are pretty heavy duty narcotics. ---------------------- Withdrawal symptoms can include body aches, fever, nausea. Withdrawal symptoms can last a long time (our doc said you might feel withdrawal symptoms for 6 months). I think tapering off narcotics is the best way to reduce dependence, and lessens the dramatic effect of going "cold turkey."

I guess methadone is used by drug addicts to help reduce dependence on other narcotics. Maybe someone else knows why methadone, specifically, is used. It is still a narcotic and addictive.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: