surgery vs no surgery

Fri Feb 11 09:54:05 2000

JAnet,

I just wanted to add my 2 cents worth about having surgery or not having surgery.

I have had no less than 12 abdominal surgeries for adhesions. After each surgery, I would have pain relief, for a time, then the pain wouold return with a vengence. Each time, I sought a surgeon who would go in and "clean up" the adhesions and take out whatever the adhesions had caused, such as ovarian cysts/tumors. My last surgery all but cost me my life. I had a total abd. hyst but also had a nicked bowel. I spent a week in ICU with my family not knowing if I was going to live or die. My husband still can not talk about the horrible experience without getting emotional. Seprafilm was used, but because of the infection, it did not help.

After about 9 months, the pain was back again. It was at this point, I decided not to put my family/myself through another potentially life-threatening surgery but sought pain-management. This does not mean I have lost hope, on the contrary, I am at peace with my decision. The medicines/diet are working to control the episodes of what I describe as "sucidial levels" of pain.

I am in the process of getting disability as I can not work and take these medicines. I am looking into starting my own home-based business and I am co-authoring a book. Although life is not fair, (not that anyone said that it would be) - I am using what I have and am going to live my life to the fullest - and not let the pain get the better of me. I could feel sorry for myself, but what benifit is that? I don't understand why this has happened to me. I could be bitter, just sit down and let life pass me by, but what a waste of life that would be.

So, I just wanted to let you all know, that if the time comes, where surgery is no more the option of choice (or the cure), you can live with ahesions (with pain management) and have a productive life, even though it may be a bit different that what you had envisioned for yourself. So don't be discouraged because surgery does not have to be your only option. I will not have surgery again, unless I totally obstruct and have not other choice.

Tina

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: